Sunday, June 15, 2014

Im a 300 lb male who is trying to lose weight but my lower back hurts after a quarter mile of running?




Nick


Hello. Since my high-school graduation in 2009, I have gained 100 pounds. I weighed 200 lbs then now I weigh 300 lbs. I said enough is enough and signed up for two 5K runs in April. I have started training for them this week.

Every time I start running at the local park, my lower back starts hurting really bad. I have never had back problems before so im guessing its a muscle weakness issue. There is a lot of "baggage" on my core and it seems like the muscles arent strong enough to carry the weight when running.

How can a big guy like me strengthen his core? I do a brisk walk around the park (there is still a little pain when brisk walking, but not as much), since i cant run yet. I'm not giving up. Not this time.

I bought new running shoes, so the shoes arent the problem.



Answer
One of the main things about running is having a good core, this also makes you run faster, stronger and helps reduces injury.
For core work you can do things like, planks, sit ups, push ups, backwards bridge, etc.
doing weights is also a good way to get rid of any excess weight so it will be easier for your body to carry you around whilst running!
Also look at your eating plan as eating healthier can mean you can loose extra unneeded pounds and makes running easier and puts less pressure on your back!

Cheers Scout! :) Good luck!

Should I try minimalist running shoes if I'm a severe overpronator?




Ian W


I currently wear Brooks Adrenaline 11's and have been happy with them overall. They have a good mix of support and are relatively lightweight. I hate motion control shoes because of the weight and even the Adrenalines are heavier than I'd like with me being only 5'8 150 lbs. I'm not a big heel striker as is, but I overpronate pretty badly. Should I look into something like the Saucony Mirage or Guide or should I stick with the Adrenlines which haven't given me any trouble?


Answer
As a fellow overpronator, my first reaction would be to not fix what ain't broke. I wear Asics Kayano 16s (love them), and was fitted in a running store with the 'slightly baby sister' of your shoes, the Trance 10, and have already put in more than 500 miles on them (unlike my Kayanos, which wear out before 300). While I have had ZERO issues with blisters, shin splints, etc., I also am not a fan of the almost clod-like look of the shoe.

I recently purchased a pair of Brooks PureCadence, which I understand is still a stability shoe, though a lot lighter. I have also heard great reviews about Mizuno Wave Elixirs as well. Haven't received the Brooks yet, though I plan to start really slow with the shoe, since minimalist - to me at least - means almost barefoot, which is something that I understand you simply cannot go to without 'downshifting' to a mid-range type of shoe.

Saucony Kinvaras are supposed to be decent 'dropping from heavy stability to light stability' shoes, and I may end up trying those out as well. I know my feet do not do well in neutral shoes, so I know I have to have some stability built into the shoe.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Im a 300 lb male who is trying to lose weight but my lower back hurts after a quarter mile of running?
Rating: 100% based on 99998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment