Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Running on Pavement?




Nick T


I'm a guy that just finished freshman year.
I ran XC/Track and right now I want to start training for XC.
I got 23:05 last year as my PR (I know it's bad, but I did it mainly just to stay in shape).

I ran a 22:59 a week ago on a 5k after running light (about 15 miles) the week before.
It was definitely not my best race. I started too fast (6:30 1st mile) and I got a very bad side stitch at about the 2 mile mark but I kept running but I went a lot slower (might have been due to lack of stretching since I came a bit late).

This year, I want to get 19 minutes. I'm willing to put in a lot of hard work. However, I was wondering if it's okay to train on pavement. I want to improve greatly but I wasn't sure if running on pavement would be bad for me. Normally, I would run around my neighborhood so I don't know where I'd run if I couldn't run on pavement.



Answer
I run 1700+ miles a year on pavement. 32-36 miles a week. Luckily I have some of the greatest paved bike/pedestrian trails in the country right down the street.

Not saying I've never been hurt but in the last 2 years it's only been an ankle sprain (knocked me out of running for 2 weeks) and a painful knee (started training runs too soon after running a marathon, just dialed back the miles for 2 weeks and retired those shoes).

I'm 42 years old, you are almost 30 years younger, you shouldn't have a problem.
Just listen to your body, if you feel pain, assess how much it really hurts and decide whether or not to stop before it becomes a more serious injury.

Do not take anything stronger than a little aspirin, if that, before your runs. Some people make the mistake of taking advil, tylenol, etc. before their runs, all that does is mask the pain or injury while running and may not alert your brain before it becomes something more serious.

If you do run around the neighborhood be very aware of drivers not seeing you ( texting, cell phone, stupid, whatever) Car-hits-runner, runner loses every time.

I'm knock kneed and I walk weird...should I join the indoor track team in my high school?




Sherry


I already run a few miles on my spare time but I'm not sure if my knees are going to impair my running or not. :/


Answer
If you want to be involved in track and field then do so. You will never know what your real potential is or isn't without trying.

Food for thought:

All runners who compete need a closing kick. So, learning the proper technique to sprinting 100m with standing starts is very helpful.

A better 100m run â form and technique will get you there. - ptfa.geo answer:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100702191734AAczh6q

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

After that, distances will shape your mindset on improving your speed. You have to find suitable techniques, to your style of running to achieve faster running times.

Running Technique Keys:

Faster Running in General:
Running faster requires - either, a higher out put of leg rotation or running on your toes or both. Pumping your elbows to the back harder and faster is the key to getting a higher leg rotation. However, XC runners should stay away from being too high on their toes - risk of twisting an ankle is too great.

A racing shoe that properly fits your foot and used for race purpose only, will enhance your speed. Placing a thin insole in your racing shoe makes your racing shoe feel very comfortable for running in without soaks. Replace the insoles when they begin to show signs of wear or when they are flat in your impact area. They can be bought in some grocery stores.

Faster 100m -
requires 100% application of arms and legs at a maximum output rate.

Faster 200m (curve) -
requires special lean techniques for running the curve at top speed. The straight lean for wide curves and the "T" Torque for tight curves are the dormant lean styles. Application of the 100m running technique is used for the straight.

Faster 400m -
requires strategy, stamina, cursing power and a burst of closing kick energy. Having enough energy to close strong is the key.

Faster Speed For Races Greater than 400m -
requires strategy, higher leg rotation endurance, cursing power, body ventilation and relaxation skills, an on-and-off valve for generating power with your arms and, a final burst of closing kick energy. Having enough energy to close strong is the key. (Your technique is knowing when to use these essentials.)


Faster Hurdles:

Requirement:
One needs to have an ability to go air born in a balanced manner and then return to earth by hitting the ground running.

The secrete to hurdlers' speed is in; the placement of their starting blocks, the rhythm in their running between hurdles, the use of their arms, the placement of their lead leg after clearing the hurdle and, the methods needed to close out the last four hurdles.

The hurdle heights for high schools are:
American Girls - 30 inches and 33 inches
American Boys - 36 inches and 39 inches

The hurdle heights for college and open divisions are:
American Women - 30 inches and 33 inches
American Men - 36 inches and 42 inches


Faster Race Walking:

Requires:
Sustained pressure on the hip joints. One must have an ability to keep one foot on the ground at all times while walking forward after locking the knee joint. Power swings with the elbow in conjunction with accentuated hip swivel provides the power behind speed walking.


Training Days:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100909182936AAHVBwn


Short Sprinting Tips: - ptfa.geo answer
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20101024101423AAER6nI


When to use - The Closing Kick For Distance Runners: see ptfa.geo answer.
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AiF.bpXhcsgS0g2OYXMn5B3ty6IX;_ylv=3?qid=20100919081507AAOU8qd&show=7#profile-info-YWloLyZtaa




The Principles Applied Towards Field Events: see ptfa.geo answer.
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AkpTsW5LFtKZ0M0TLVDr8Qbsy6IX;_ylv=3?qid=20100911071307AA37UMc&show=7#profile-info-Faj0PR0Aaa



Stretching: - see ptfa.geo answer:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20101025220949AA755C3



http://www.iaaf.org/



http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Running on Pavement?
Rating: 100% based on 99998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment