Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Why do I have foot pain, and how can I prevent/treat it?




Eugene


Hi,

I am a runner, and have been running the past few months. I run once or twice a week, and in the past two months have been increasing my long run. Each week I try to increase my long run two miles, going from 5 to 7 to 9 to 11 to 13. I have no problem with stamina, but recently (with the 1 mile and 13 mile runs) I have had terrible sharp pains in the outside of my feet. This occurs at about mile 7, and has only been occurring recently. Regular foot fatigue was normal for me, but this sharp pain is relatively new. It seems to hurt every time I step, especially when the road is not flat (ie downhill, uphill, or banked to the right or left). Strangely, I have concluded that this pain is more distinct when I run slower and less when I run quicker. For these long runs, I average about 5 miles per hour, relatively slow. I am wondering if I am over training, or if because I am running slower, there is a greater time that my weight pressures my foot. I have no history of being flat footed or having a high arch. This pain persists a very long time, about 5 or 6 days, until I can walk normally, without a somewhat limp. After resting a week, my feet were completely healed and I tried running 13 miles but the pain returned after a few miles and progressively became sharper. I could only run 9 miles, and by the end I was barely able to stand up because of the pain. I have looked online about it and could guess that I have Peroneal Tendonitis because there is little swelling/redness and I have have past ankle sprains. I have heard that wearing heal lifts are helpful, but am unsure of its effectiveness. I would really like to resolve this issue by preventing and treating it, so I can focus on my running, pain free. So please suggest prevention and treatment techniques, other than RICE. Please let me know if you need additional information.

Thank You,

Eugene
Additionally, I have Saucony running shoes that I got a few months ago. I admit they were cheap, only $30, perhaps this is part of the issue.



Answer
Hey have your tried athletic comfort shoes from http://www.drewshoe.com ? Athletic comfort shoes are design for people with similar situations that you are experiencing. Athletic comfort shoes will ventalize, soothe and comfort your feet much better then your normal running shoes.

What's up with this feeling in my foot (continued) Thanks for advice?







Well, the feeling is right below the ankle, kind of where that lumpy muscle or whatever it is stands out, which looks almost like a second ankle, there and right below it to the bottom of the foot.

It's where Peroneal Tendonitis occurs, and i wonder if that's what I even have.

I noticed when I rested it on that side, the outside of my right foot, it felt spongy inside.
It feels like there's a piece of tape on my foot coming off or stuck when I roll it forward too.

I think a lot of it had to do with the shoes, which were hand me downs, and that I run on uneven, tilted surfaces.



Answer
Yeah, it is called an inflamed tendon or sprained tendon. It will hurt until it heals and that can be a while because even if you are not training, you walk around putting pressure on it. I suggest RICE (rest, ice, compression and elevation), also an over the counter anti-inflammatory.

See a doctor if you can before that 'piece of tape on your foot coming off' feeling becomes a 'piece of tape on your foot came off' feeling. And I agree that it probably had a lot to do with the shoes, which were hand me downs, and that you run on uneven, tilted surfaces.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Why do I have foot pain, and how can I prevent/treat it?
Rating: 100% based on 99998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment