Wednesday, February 12, 2014

stress fractures?




artemis_ar


I'm 17 years old and started competitively running 3 years ago without injuries. Recently I have become more prone to shin splints... which lead to my first stress fracture. I stopped running for a month and when I came back into it, the splints started back up and now I'm in the same situation. I was just wondering what I could do. I ice 20 min. before/after every run, take vitamins, and stretch well. I also have very cushioned shoes with less than 50 miles on them. Should I look into inserts to relieve even more of the pressure, or what else can I do?


Answer
Not running for 1 month may not have been long enough to heal your fractures.
You can do non impact conditioning like biking or running in deep water until your fractures are completely healed.
The reason you are now getting shin splints and did not for the first 3 years is difficult to determine since it sounds like you are doing the correct things.
Good shoes, massage, ice, and stretching should help the pain, and if not then you need to see a sports doctor.

running shoe help?




michael c


i bought a pair of nike running shoes two weeks ago and have run 3 miles almost every day like i usually do. i have some serious pain in my lower legs that i didnt have b4 getting them. it feels like there is absolutely no support with these new shoes.

what is a really good running shoe that will be better for my legs?

keep in mind, i run 3 miles almost everyday.



Answer
Link, under armour does not make running shoes... and nike is definitely not the best running shoe brand

I have been running in nikes forever, but recently i got very badly injured (a stress fracture that sidelined me for 5 months)... I recently went to a running shoe store and was fitted into a pair of Adidas, and I love them, and I feel safe running in them.

Go to a real running store, not dunhams or sportmart or dick's sporting goods... those are sporting goods stores not running stores. and yes there is a difference. running store employees are runners who actually know about the sport and which shoes produce the most successful, injury free runners

asics is very popular, i personally hate them, but basically everyone on my high school team wears them. i like adidas... and mizunos and brooks are also good brands to look into.


ugh sorry i just read more posts, and there is so much misinformation it is making me sick:

the nike frees are not meant for everyday running. their purpose is to strengthen your feet and are only meant to be worn a few times a week, and certainly not for long runs

and no running shoe, not even asics, can withstand 15,000 miles of running without sacrificing something. i am sure there are people who do this just for the thrill or bragging rights of running on the same pair of shoes for 15,000 miles

and do not go to the goodfeet store to get supports to use in your running shoes. those supports were not made for serious athletes. if you really need inserts, then go to a physical therapist. most physical therapy offices partner with a company that makes custom orthodics that are made for athletes. goodfeet supports are stiff and were not made for using during intense endurance activities

and the most expensive shoes are not always the best. for example: the nike air max 360's are in my opinion the worst running shoes ever, they are heavy and the cushioning isn't even that great, and there is no support at all whatsoever... sounds like a cheap shoe? they cost $170




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: stress fractures?
Rating: 100% based on 99998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment