Sunday, June 22, 2014

What advice would you give to a beginning runner?




Thedreamer


I'm a stay-at-home mother and I need to lose some weight, about 30-40 pounds to be exact. I weight 175 and I'm really out of shape for a 26 year old.

It's time to change that and I want to take up running. It looks like a minimalist sport and straightforward way to be active. I have already gone to The Running Room store and purchased a great pair of shoes that were fitted for me, and I have a great sports bra (sorry to the men out there).

I have tried going for a short jog yesterday and I felt like a complete idiot. I'm not super obese but I'm overweight without a doubt and I really feel odd throwing my heft down the street--and of course there are some unsavory folks out there inclined to let me know just how silly I look while driving past.

I'm hoping that someone out there might have some advice on how to start out? I don't have any sort of program.

Is there anything that I should know that would be helpful?



Answer
The best way to improve as a runner and gain fitness is to have a flexible plan for your running. I suggest searching for a "Couch to 5k" running program online - preferably one that has you running 4 or more days per week. Even if you never plan to run a 5k, the program will provide you with several months of structured workouts so that you know what you should be doing for each run.

Take thing slow. The slower you go, the farther you'll last, the farther you go, the more you gain. Don't be afraid to walk if you need it.

Ignore people driving by. You will always have to deal with this as a runner, whether you are 40 pounds overweight or and Olympic marathoner. Smile, wave, and be friendly to those who are friendly to you. Ignore the lazy fatasses yelling from their cars.

Don't get sucked into hype about equipment, running diets, hydration, etc. You are right, running is very minimalist. Good shoes, good clothes. Drink when you're thirsty, when you aren't, don't. Eat healthy. Follow your plan.

If a woman calls herself a femininist, what image does that give people?




David


Short hair, glasses, overweight to obese? The odd stray whisker hanging from her chin and a sullen growl?

If a man meets a good looking feminist, can he in all honesty, look at her and not imagine the above image?

How than can a straight man with an IQ higher than my shoe size, ever wake up in bed with a feminist and not have to immediately run to the toilet to disgorge the contents of his stomach?



Answer
Someone who, judging by the actions of the movement they've aligned themselves with, seems to think that only women matter while men can just put-up with the double standards and hate campaigns.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: What advice would you give to a beginning runner?
Rating: 100% based on 99998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment