Monday, March 10, 2014

How long before you can run after meniscus surgery?




JenEricRal


I am debating having surgery for a torn meniscus. (Superiorly surfacing oblique tear in the posterior horn of the medial mensicus, to be exact.)

I can run and do most things pain free, but I have a lot of pain in the back of my knee with deep flexion. I cannot squat, sit "indian style," or cross my left ankle over my right knee. It makes simple things like squatting down to tie my son's shoe or clipping my toenails difficult.

I did not have the pain until I started my pt/recovery for ACL reconstruction in the same knee.

I have had two major surgeries in the last 18mo. I am ok with surgery, but I do not want to go back to square one with my running AGAIN! I am so over recovering from surgery and going to physical therapy...LOL!

1) How long before I can start running again if I have a miniscectomy?

2) Is there a risk in putting off the surgery?

Thanks in advance!



Answer
The recovery from a meniscus surgery is a lot faster than recovery from ACL surgery. However, mensicectomy is hardly performed anymore. Rather, they usually perform an arthroscopic debridement to "smooth out" the tear. Preservation of the mensicus is helpful in the long run. Therapy is often done in weeks rather than months. It's a rather simple procedure and post operative recovery is mainly focused on restoring range of motion and general strength...you do not get as big of a shut down in muscular function as you do with ACL repair. Yet, running needs to be introduced gradually in accordance to the guidelines established by your surgeon. At the very earliest, running might be able to be resumed in 4-6 weeks, however, your surgeon may have other preferences based on what he/she sees in there.

I can't say that putting off the surgery will necessarily put you at any risk...but I suppose it is possible to tear it further requiring a larger piece to be debrided which could permanently alter the mechanics of the joint.

Good luck

ACL Rehabilitation and Running?




Sidney


I had an ACL repair on my left knee this past May, I was supposed to be starting my first day of Basic Training on May 13, but had surgery instead. I'm just now being able to run, but it's still hurts when I make too hard of an impact with my left leg. What are some things I can do to help alleviate some of the pain but still be able to run so I can get back in shape for the military?


Answer
I had reconstructive knee surgery April 4 and was just cleared to run again two weeks ago. It hurt for me at first too. I actually stopped running and started doing work in the pool for about a week and a half. I went to the deep end and while wearing flippers, I would tread water for 5 minutes each day. It got my leg stronger and let it feel used again, which was a big help.

Anyways, after my week in the pool, I started running again. It was a lot better than before, but still not ideal. I ended up buying new running shoes that were shock absorbent and supportive*. That worked amazingly for running on both trails and pavement. Luckily for you, the military doesn't require much in order for you to pass PT. The running distance is 2 miles and for women, I'm pretty sure you need to come in under 20 minutes. It isn't hard at all :)

*In case you were wondering, I bought a pair of Brooks Ravenna 3. DO NOT get Nike Pro's. Those are really crappy as far as regular use goes because they have terrible support and are basically just a fashion shoe. Also, when buying running shoes, make sure there is about a centimeter and a half gap between your toes and the end of the shoe. If the shoes fit "just right," your toes will hit the end of the shoe while you run and your toenails will get black from bruising and end up curling inward against your toe.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: How long before you can run after meniscus surgery?
Rating: 100% based on 99998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment