Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Stress fractures are not healing?

best running shoes july 2011
 on adidas f50i tunit The new Adidas F50i Football Boot
best running shoes july 2011 image
Q. I am 14 years old and I weigh 90 pounds. I've never really been into sports, I only did ballet, gymnastics, and jazz as a child, but I quit when I was about 10.

In July 2011 I started running cross country. In September 2011 I got diagnosed with stress fractures(Tibial), so I rested for one month and a half (I didn't wear a cast because they weren't very severe). In June 15, 2011 BOTH my shins hurt a lot when I ran with my team. I went to the doctor and he told me to stop running again.

In August I started by walking the whole month. Then in September I ran 1 mile and then I added half a mile to my training every week. And by the time I was in 3 miles my shins started hurting again. I got X Rays and the doctor said I had to rest again.

I don't know what is wrong with me, the doctor always says the same thing. Will my shins ever heal?
Is there any method to make them heal?
My fracture:
https://twitter.com/carolinamunoz13/status/281619515006152705/photo/1


Answer
I know a guy who tried to get into the Army but couldn't make it through basic training because of stress fractures. They wanted to give him one sort of discharge but he wouldn't take it because he wanted to try again. He found out the reason was that one leg was a quarter inch shorter than the other. All he needed was an insert in one shoe and he made it through easily the next time. It may be time to see an orthopedist and find out why you're having this problem.

Leg Pain! Please Help!!?




whenifeeld


PLEASE READ BEFORE RESPONDING!

Okay, I ran a half marathon this past February (2012) and didn't train for it like I should have which is obv. my fault. I'm not an avid runner by any standards, nor have I ever been one. This was the second half I've ever run. The first being in 2011. So I pushed myself way too hard and ended up with pain in my right leg, specifically in the middle on the outside where my tibia runs. I'll put a link to a picture that shows exactly where it is at the end of this. It hurt pretty bad for a week or so after the race, but I rested and didn't do any strenuous exercise and after about a week it went away. I'm sure the running shoes I had didn't help either because I don't think I was fitted for the right ones.

Ever since then I am still having problems with my leg. Last year I had about 4-5 instances where the pain was so bad I couldn't walk for about 2-3 days. The pain would be really bad in that spot on the outside of my leg the day after I'd run and then gradually go away after about 2-3 days. It's quite random when it happens. And it's not always when I run. For instance, Fourth of July my dad and I went on a 5 1/2 mile power walk around where I live and that night/2-3 days after the pain in my leg was awful. Recently, as in about 1 1/2 months ago, I ran/walked five miles on the treadmill and was fine. I rested for two days and then on the third day ran for 30 mins straight at 5mph (not fast) and had leg pain. Sometimes it's during my runs/walks, sometimes it the day after. I don't run fast or push myself too hard. I gave myself august/september to recover and then started back really slowly, but alas the pain came back.

I've had an MRI and X-ray which both came back inconclusive. So it's not a stress fracture or shin splints.

I went and saw an orthopedic doctor a week ago who said the the only thing he thought it could be was compartment syndrome, but I looked up the symptoms and I'm positive it's not that. It's only that one localized spot on the side of my leg. I really want to run another half marathon, but I need to get this straightened out first. I don't want to have to stop running because of this. For the first time in my life I finally felt accomplished. I have never been athletic was so proud of myself when I ran my first half.

I really don't know what it is or what to do?!?! So any help would be greatly appreciated!
BTW, I'm a 20yr old 5'2 130lb female if that helps.

Thanks in advance!!!

http://tinypic.com/r/w7iofb/6
See that's exactly what my ortho told me too! He was just like Ice it, rest, take anti-inflammatories, and wear good shoes. None of that has been helping! I hope you are able to figure out what's wrong with your leg! And he wants me to come back in two weeks, but I haven't had any pain since I haven't been running and like I said it's not every time I run so what good is going back going to do?
See that's exactly what my ortho told me too! He was just like Ice it, rest, take anti-inflammatories, and wear good shoes. None of that has been helping! I hope you are able to figure out what's wrong with your leg! And he wants me to come back in two weeks, but I haven't had any pain since I haven't been running and like I said it's not every time I run so what good is going back going to do?
See that's exactly what my ortho told me too! He was just like Ice it, rest, take anti-inflammatories, and wear good shoes. None of that has been helping! I hope you are able to figure out what's wrong with your leg! And he wants me to come back in two weeks, but I haven't had any pain since I haven't been running and like I said it's not every time I run so what good is going back going to do?
sorry for the repeats lol I thought it didn't post. And thanks everyone so far for your answers! Yeah I stay pretty inactive to be honest. I go to the gym 3x a week but other then that don't do too much. I do stretch extensively every time I work out. I will try to stretch more and drink more water as well as move more since I know I don't.



Answer
i had an injury to my left leg, but inside pain, same place.
i had set of xrays, then mri of the leg, then mri of my back, then a bone scan
same as you
went to an ortho , he basically looked at me like i was a hypochondriac.
everyone just kept telling me, to rest , ice, and take anti inflammatory drugs, which I did.
i went to another doctor and he suggested pain clinic
i got 2 cortisone shots, helped a lot
and then he put me on some nerve medication.
I did not run, but i biked a lot, and just over strained my leg, I had no pain while biking
just the next day.I'm still not the same as I was, and its been
a YEAR.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Stress fractures are not healing?
Rating: 100% based on 99998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment