Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Marathon running and training ?




Theresa V


I am 16 years old and I want to run a marathon, I have never been all that sereous about running, the farthest I have ever run was the 10k. Do you have any good ideas on how I could run a swell marathon in 6 months, as of now I can only run 5 miles. I am going to be running and training with my sister.


Answer
With 6 months to go, you've got plenty of time to prepare for a marathon. Its good that you've got someone to run with to keep each other motivated, and its great that its your sister, spend all of the time you can with your sibling(s), you never know if you'll get to live near each other when you grow up.

Now, on to your training!

You've said you can run 5 miles. This is great, its a wonderful distance to start out at. Try to run 5 miles 3 times each week, and then a longer run on Saturday (start with 6 miles, and increase 2-3 miles every 2 weeks). This should really be all you need to finish a marathon, as far as mileage goes. For the longer Saturday run, your trying to build to a 20 mile run on the Saturday 3 weeks before your marathon. If you can stick to the program, then once you get your long run to 12 miles or longer, change 1 or more of your other runs to 6 miles, depending on your conditioning. You can continue to add a mile here and there as you get in better shape, following these guidelines:

Never run all 7 days in a week
1 workout each week needs to be 5 miles to focus on faster pace
1 workout needs to be longer to continue conditioning you to be able to run for as long as needed in the marathon
Except for the Saturday run, no workout should exceed 10 miles
The combination of the other 2 workouts (not the 5 mile or saturday) should not exceed 16 miles (so when you're in really good shape, run a 10 and a 6, or run 2 eight mile runs).

Once your conditioning gets better, you might even think about adding another day of running. If you do, put in another 6-8 mile run. In the final 3 weeks before your race, taper your mileage down to allow your body more recovery.

Remember to always warm up (1/2 to 1 mile) and stretch properly before running, and cool down (another 1/2 mile or more) and stretch again after running. Buy new shoes as yours wear out (you'll go through several pairs preparing for a marathon). It is often suggested that you have 2 pairs of shoes for training and alternate workouts with them, allowing them to dry out and completely recover their elasticity before using them again.

The basic things you should take from all that I have suggested are: take care of your body (stretching, warming up, cooling down, eat properly, etc.) and start small and build up to marathon distance.

Just out of curiosity, what marathon are you preparing for? I've been a runner for years, but I am just this year planning to run my first marathon (Athens, Ohio, in April) and I am always curious as to which marathon people choose to be their first.

Long distance running training shoes?




~squiggle~


Old shoes getting worn out :( heels were killing me, had to stop at 3 1/2 miles
I tend to land a lot on my heel, I don't know whether it was the shoe or me.
Lightweight womens trainers? Any suggestions?
Thanks.



Answer
Generally speaking, running shoes have a useful life that ends at about 500 miles. Once they reach that point you can throw them into the Goodwill bin.
My own experience with Nike Air Pegasus may be helpful to you. When training for the 1991 Marine Corps Marathon (my first), I went to my local running shoe store and asked the owner what he would suggest. Instead of grabbing a pair off the top-priced rack, he took down a pair of Nike Air Pegasus and said "This is what you need." My next question was quite simple: "Why?" He then gave an excellent talk about the construction of the shoe in general, and of the cushioning in the heel in particular. He measured my feet, and then brought out a pair that fit perfectly.
That November, when I arrived in Washington, DC, I happened to notice that most of the Marines who were in the Marathon were wearing the same footwear I was wearing! Naturally, I had to ask, and their reasons were the same: "That's what they gave us in Boot Camp." Well, if there is one thing you should know, Marines do a lot of running in Boot Camp, more so than the other branches of the military. It's vitally important that they get the best protection possible.
I've never worn anything else since that day, regardless of the distance I was training for. Now that I coach, it is the one shoe I suggest to all of my runners (who are also training for their first marathons or half-marathons).
Simply stated, if it's good enough for the United States Marines, it was good enough for me, too.
They are not the most expensive shoes on the market, but in my opinion, they are the best.

Good luck, and good running!




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Marathon running and training ?
Rating: 100% based on 99998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment