Monday, April 21, 2014

Can i wear regular running shoes for a trail marathon?







I entered into a trail marathon, and I have to cross a stream and my feet will definetley be getting wet. I hear trail running shoes are heavier, I dont know if its worth buying trail shoes just for this. Any info will be helpful. Thanks


Answer
As already mentioned, it depends on the trail. Also, it depends on you.

Personally, I rarely use trail shoes in a trail race because they are generally heavier, bulkier, and stiffer than road shoes. I often race with a lightweight road shoes. Another advantage of those is that your foot is lower to the ground, lower center of gravity, which gives you more lateral stability and a better feel for the trail. Other people I know, however, will use trail shoes even when racing on a smooth dirt path. On the roads, I run in the least supportive shoe possible - I have good feet and a good stride. If you need supportive road shoes, you could benefit from a more supportive trail shoes.

Someone mentioned New Balance trail shoes. I have a pair of the NB790s that I just love. They fit like a slipper, are very light, low to the ground, and have pretty good traction.

On many hard packed trails, traction isn't an issue. However, the added traction from a trail shoe can be helpful if there's a lot of sand/loose soil or mud. Another advantage is protection from hard rocks. My feet are used to running on rocks, so that's not something I worry about, though most others do.

I wouldn't worry too much about water protection, like from a Gore-Tex lined shoe. If you're running through streams, the water is going to come in over the top of the ankle. So, lining the shoe with Gore-Tex won't help. In fact, it might even make it harder to dry out. Wear a synthetic or wool sock, and you should be fine.

I do often wear trail shoes when training. There, I don't worry about the added weight.

You can also think about using them more than just for this one race. You may fall in love with running trails and want to do a lot more.

Is it okay to use trail running shoes for track?




:D


I am running track and I recently brought trail running shoes. Will it affect me in any way if I use them as opposed to my usual running shoes for track?


Answer
Trail running shoes are pretty much the same as any other pair of running shoes, but typically are more ridged to provide more support, are water proof, and have larger treads on the bottom. If you bought them at a running store and got ones with the right amount of arch support for your feet type and they are comfortable then they should work just fine for track. The downside is that they may get hot if they are less breathable due to being water proof and they will be heavier. I would recommend testing them on a track and running the curves at different speeds to make sure they are comfortable for that, because sometimes trail shoes can be uncomfortable going fast around the tight turns on a track, because they are more ridged. I wouldn't really recommend buying trail running shoes for track, but since you already have them there really is no reason why you couldn't wear them for track as long as they are comfortable and are the right type for your feet.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Can i wear regular running shoes for a trail marathon?
Rating: 100% based on 99998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment