Sunday, May 25, 2014

Would gaining more weight help?




Liz


I began recovering from anorexia back in May. I am 20, 5'4" and was about 76 pounds. Once I began eating 2,500-2,700 calories a day, I gained weight rapidly. I put on about 20 pounds in 5-6 weeks. Once I got to 98 pounds, I cut down my calories and began trying to maintain. I went to 1,800 calories a day and went back to running. I was running 20-25 minutes a day on a 5% incline at 5 mph with intervals of 5.5-6 mph. I think I increased my activity too much too fast because after about 2 or 3 weeks, I began feeling pain in my inner left ankle. That started at the beginning of August, and I am still feeling it. I had x-rays with an orthopedist last week, and he couldn't see anything wrong, which is kind of upsetting because I want to know what is wrong and when it will heal. I just want to be able to run again because that is one of my most favorite things to do. When I first began having the pain, I panicked because I felt like I couldn't eat 1,800 calories without exercise, so I started going to the gym everyday to use the elliptical. At first, I could only do 25 minutes max., but now I make myself go 6 or 7 days a week and make myself do it for 60 minutes. I do the interval course so that I do a resistance of 1 and then a resistance of 8, alternating between the two every two minutes. I don't know if that's a good workout or not, but I assume that it is because I sweat and breathe heavily the whole way through. I also still do my ab exercises for 10 minutes twice daily, but they aren't strenuous and Pilates for 10-20 minutes. I try to stay as active as possible, yet I still feel like I am not doing enough. I haven't weighed myself in months because I am too scared to see the number because I always tell myself that I am big and can't stand to gain anymore. I am probably still about 100 pounds, give or take a few. I haven't gotten my period back yet, so I know that is a problem. Could this be a stress fracture or something else? When I feel pain in my ankle, I bend it up and down gently to relieve the pain, and often times when I do that, I hear popping noises. I'm not sure how to explain it.

Besides all of those questions, my other question is if I were to go back to eating about 2,500 calories and gain some more weight, would my ankle be more likely to heal? I REALLY don't want to gain more weight. I am so scared to do so. My whole life, I have never weighed more than 100, if even that, so I don't know what I would look like at a higher weight. I already feel big as it is, so I can't imagine weighing EVEN more. However, I know that I may someday need to gain more to regain my period. I just feel so lost, hopeless, confused, and upset. Thank you so much for reading this.=)



Answer
OK, first thing, deep breaths and relax....... there is nothing to panic about. Huge kudos to you for overcoming your eating disorder. Just a quick thought on your diet, recommended daily intake for a woman is 2,000 calories a day. If you are eating 2500 a day on your current exercise routine that is probably not enough but take it easy, anorexia is not like getting over a head cold. Speak to your doctor and get a good health check done.

I think you just need to take it easy on your ankle. Your exercise routine looks quite intense and 6 or 7 days a week is a little excessive. Try a day on day off routine to give your body time to recover properly and heal. The pain you are feeling is most likely tendon or ligament strain. This won't show up on an x-ray it is not a bone injury. The incline run puts a big strain on your calves and ankles. Ideally, you should build up the strength in your calves slowly to prevent shin splints and ankle injuries like the one you have. My advice is go low impact exercise and stay off the treadmill for at least a month. It sounds a long time but it can take a long time for injuries to heal properly. The popping noise could be swelling in the joint or the tendon. Take some ibuprofen (if you can of course) to relieve the inflamation and rest up.

Work on your calf and ankle strength in the meantime with calf raises and wobble board curls/shoulder presses (a board that has a flat top and a half ball on the underside while curling dumbbells). This will help a lot to support your ankle when you try running again. Start off slow and gentle with no incline. Skipping is a good exercise for calves and ankle stength. Start off on a soft carpeted floor in running shoes for 5 minutes a day then build up slowly by a minute a week. The eliptical is a good form of exercise to just don't go nuts!

I'm a long distance triathlete and had shin splints last year. Never had them before and had no idea how I got them or why. It completely ruined my whole season I couldn't run, jog or walk far. I had 3 ironman and 3 marathons planned for that year. Running is a real passion for me after a serious back injury in 1990 when I was told I wouldn't walk again without crutches. Being unable to train was really really hard but it made me appreciate what I could do like cycle, swim, weight lift and spend time with my wife and kids. Sometimes injury is a good thing!

As for your weight, stay off the scales for as long as possible! Your body is recovering and healing and needs some time to get back to as normal as it can. Think about getting healthy and fixing your ankle properly first, then when your periods start again think about stepping on some scales.

Good luck, someone in Scotland is rooting for you!

Any way that I can make these skates work, or any suggestions on replacing them?




Mom_to_3


I have a pair of men's Riedell Royal boots with Coronation Ace blades that I've had for at least 17 years. (I had made it up through Basic 8 and was going to take private lessons, so I needed a better skate. I bought these second hand, which is why I have men's skates.) They are size 7.5 (no idea on width). They are still in excellent shape with the blades only having a bit of rust on the mounting brackets.

Anyway, I've been going to Open Skates with my 6 yr old daughter who is now taking lessons herself. This is the first time I've been reguarly skating in 16 yrs or so. In those 17 yrs, my women's size 9 feet have grown a bit wider. The skates were always a tight fit (with tights), but now they are absolutely killing my feet. I thought my socks were too thick, so I wore the thinnest socks I could find and it was murder. My left foot was fine. My right foot is slightly larger, with the ball of my foot screaming in pain, and the area around the widest part of my foot felt like it was in a vice. When I removed both boots, my toes went "to sleep" for a while (had to keep them moving to "wake" them up). I couldn't stay on the ice for long. If I worked up enough speed, it wasn't as bad, but the rink was crowded, and I have to keep pace with my daughter, who is in Basic 2.

I figure I really need new boots, but can't really afford that, and I am worried I'll get the wrong fit. Plus, I love the support my Royals offer, and I can't determine which of the lower cost Riedells offered now would offer the same level of support (if any). No professional skate shops in my town.

I was wondering if anyone had any tips that would help me salvage these existing skates. If not, I wanted some feedback on the newer boots and also was wondering if I could reuse my existing blades and what I would have to do to get them mounted onto new boots.

Thanks.
Oh, two things to add. I am an overweight person (which I know doesn't help, but thought the exercise would help that, plus I love to skate), and I will need to order my boots online (FYI).
Thank you, JustMe! I don't have a pro shop in my area that I know of, so I may have to make a trip to Chicago or Detroit (I'm in between the two). To answer your question, no, there's no real creases to speak of. They were almost new when I bought them and I didn't use them much. Thanks again.



Answer
I feel your pain - I also had skates get too small after having children. That pain is horrible - it aches after you take off the skates, too. Arrrgh.

Since you bought these skates used, they were already broken in, but they had enough support for your use. That's a great bargain, but if they don't fit, don't make yourself miserable. Those old Royals were pretty stiff back in the day, but today's Royals are rock-hard. You'll never break them in with your occasional skating and they'll give you bruises and shin splints if you buy that model and try to use them.

Are the boots creased a lot? If not, they are probably not broken down, so they might be able to be salvaged. If they're very creased, it's probably better to get a new pair.

First, figure out just how tight they really are...pull out the insole and put it on the ground.
Put your foot on it with the heel against the back. See how much your foot hangs over the front or the sides.

If it's just a tad too narrow or small, you can take them to a pro shop or a shoe repair place and ask to have the front of the skate stretched. Tell them whether it's too long or too narrow. They'll put a stretcher in overnight.

Thinner socks like pantyhose or tights will help a bit too.

You can also replace the insole with a thin, flat one, but that affects the arch support. I think Riedells have pretty thin insoles to start with, so it might not do anything.

Given the economy, most pro shops aren't carrying skate inventory for adults. Call and ask in advance and make an appointment for measurements. Most shops don't charge for measuring, although some charge a nominal fee if you don't buy from the shop. Have them measure your feet (length AND WIDTH) for both Riedell and Jackson skates. Riedells tend to run more narrow than Jacksons and they're about a half to a whole size different, so an 8 in one is a 7 or 7.5 in the other. Make sure to write down both brands' measurements, just in case there's a mixup later. (Word to the wise)

I always recommend buying skates from a good pro shop. It costs less and causes fewer headaches in the long run, even though it seems like buying over the internet is cheaper - it really isn't when you add in shipping, handling, sharpening, heat-molding, and adjustments. Pro shops usually include all of that in the purchase price.

If they don't have the size you need in stock, let them order it, especially if it's a wide width.
Don't get fooled into buying a longer length instead of a wider width - too-long skates cause trips and falls.

When the skates come in, check to be sure they're the right size. Sometimes the distributor sends the wrong size and the pro shop doesn't notice. Let them heat-mold the skates to your feet and get them sharpened right away. That speeds break in and really makes the skates much more comfortable from the start. The "factory sharpening" is usually poor (uneven edges) and doesn't last, so save yourself a trip and get them sharpened right away.

Get hard guards and terrycloth soakers that fit so you'll be all set to skate.

When you store your skates FOR THE SEASON, dry them really well and let them warm up to room temperature. Then put a light coat of machine oil, WD-40 or vaseline on the edges to prevent rust and cover with the soakers.

If you were up to Basic 8, I would suggest you get a pair of beginner freestyle skates.
Riedell recently updated their product line, so you might be able to get some bargains on last year's closeouts.

Riedell's Gold Medallions or Bronze/Silver stars will be good for a skater at your level. Both have great support, a good freestyle blade and are heat-moldable. They cost around $250 new, but many pro shops sell used skates on consignment, so you might get another bargain. Doesn't hurt to ask.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Would gaining more weight help?
Rating: 100% based on 99998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment