Thursday, May 29, 2014

I get terrible shin splints when I run. Would inserts help?




Not quite


I don't want to pay loads of money for the custom orthotics though. Are there inserts you can buy at like Fleet Feet or Dick Pond?


Answer
Inserts... hmmm... there are sports medicine doctors that work with this kind of stuff every day. I like the trainers at the local colleges. Maybe drop in and ask for advice. I never liked Dr. Sholls (I think that is how it is spelled) inserts.

Shin splints is one of those things that has so many causes;
poor shoe selection, running on hard surfaces like concrete, and even your running form.

Shoe selection... I say read the consumer reports to get the best shoe for the least amount of money. I personally like newballance and I personally have never found a pair of nikes that I liked. Shoes have to be not just comfortable, but very comfortable before you purchase them. I also like to wear thick, athletic socks.

Shoe construction caused my problem many years ago. There were metal pieces in my shoes holding them together. This also caused me to get an infection in my lymph system as well. If you are going to run, shoes are not something you can go cheap on. You owe it to yourself, when you set your mind to doing something, to do it 100% right. Also, talk to the trainers at your local colleges because they have to assist the injured and know the shoes to steer you towards and to avoid.

Running surfaces. Softer ones will help, but you now need to look out for gopher/snake holes, rocks and other such things which could cause even more severe problems. I found asphalt is softer and more forgiving than concrete.

Are you walking 1/4 to 1/2 the distance you ran before ending your workout? Are you properly cooling down? I do not believe nor do I think it would be a good thing to ice down your leg(s) after a run because it would constrict the blood flow when your affected region needs it the most.

Another thing that help me with my shin splints was modifying my form. I was running all messed up and I could not keep up the beatings I was taking. A running class at a junior college could get some excellent coaching with a very small cost.

One more thing... are you working repititions when doing your leg exercises as well; Leg extensions and curls, lunges, and etc...? I always believed it is really important to build muscle mass in the area where there is an injury.

Good luck.

Reebok Runtone shoes... need opinions!! 10 points!?

Q. I bought these shoes yesterday ($100) after reading good reviews about them and hearing from a friend that they were really great.

These shoes claim to add a little extra toning to your legs because of the fact that the pods on the bottom throw you the slightest bit off balance.

Personally I find them to be VERY comfortable. They fit great, feel snug and cushioned, absorb shock really well, are breathable and seem to be made of high quality materials, look cute, and even though they have the "off balance" thing, they are plenty stable (I don't feel like I'm going to break my ankle or anything.)

But today I tried running in them for a few minutes around the block. All the sudden my ankle and heel area just on one foot starting feeling some sharp pains.

I came home and did some research and found that ALL of the reviews about these shoes are good... there are little or no reports of pain caused by them and people love them. Doctors and consumers alike are raving about them. I read further and found that you are supposed to slowly get used to them by walking a little in them every day and building up the muscles that they force to work harder (ankles, calves, thighs and glutes.) I found out that Reebok suggests taking time to slowly get used to them and that part of the point of the shoe is that it is a little harder on your ankles therefor strengthening them over time so that your endurance and strength builds.

So, maybe had I known that I should have taken it more slowly I wouldn't be experiencing any pain, and it's my fault that I starting running and jumping around in shoes that I was not used to?

I want others' opinions though. If you read the reviews you will see that all around people really like these shoes and there aren't really any complaints of pain or injury. I am concerned though... what is going on with my ankle? Should I just ice it and give it a rest for a few days and then try walking in the shoes?

Has anyone tried them?


Answer
Hello,

Like any other shoe, regardless of it's type it is important to "break them in" before put to full use.
This is even more important if you are active in sports. Also remember that people are the same but also very different, in case of shoes - No-body's feet are the same, hence the shoes, even if they feel great to one person can be extremely "bad" to others.

It is difficult to tell why you have this heel pain all of sudden, it could be a coincidence, or maybe the shoes are to blame.

It can also be a beginning of an injury called "Plantar Fasciitis" which is very common with runners.

If you can answer these short questions it can help with diagnosing the pain and provide you additional assistance.

1) Is it still painful now after a couple of days?
2) Where exactly is/was the pain located in your heel?
3) Do you have high or low arches in your feet?
4) What kind of shoes you usually wear besides these runners?

Here are some immediate suggestions:

* Ice your heel at least 4 times a day, either by applying ice directly or by rolling a frozen bottle under your heel when you sit down.

* Break the shoes in by wearing them around the house when you are doing your day to day activities.

* Monitor the pain, if your ankle/heel feel fine then you can try and run with your old shoes and see if it feels better.

Again, if you can answer my questions above I will be able to help you further.

You can write to me directly if you prefer, my email is in my profile.

Good luck and feel better!




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: I get terrible shin splints when I run. Would inserts help?
Rating: 100% based on 99998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment