Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Is it okay to workout in barefoot shoes?




annette591


Im talking like squats, jump rope, high knees, plyometrics, etc. Will it hurt my knees if i do? I wear Merrell barefoot shoes when I workout. Is that okay or should I invest in a pair of cushioned Nikes or something?


Answer
I have a pair of Inov8 180 Bare-X shoes. I run in them and wear them to the gym. Against popular belief, wearing zero-drop, barefoot shoes is actually better for your knees since it forces you to pay more attention to gait, foot strike and balance. In doing a squat, a barefoot shoe would allow your lower leg muscles to work more properly.

The one downside of barefoot shoes is that if you are used to a heeled, cushioned shoe, you should ease into using them. For running at least, you are supposed to start with 1/4 mile for the first week and add 1/4 miles each week after. Trying to do too much too quickly may cause pain in your ankles and calves if you have worn cushioned shoes your whole life.

My best advice for you is too try them and assess how your legs and feet feel a few days after. In the long run, not having a heel drop, cushioned shoe will be better to allow all of your leg muscles develop as they are supposed to and prevent injury mowing forward.

Good luck!

Feet feel like they're cramping when running?




(_)


Only happens sometimes, but it's just an annoying cramping feeling in both my feet when I'm running. I have flat feet and older running shoes that have an arch. Could it be my shoes causing the foot pains or what else could it be?


Answer
I used to have this, because you are running flat footed your arch is unsupported so it just flattens when you run which overstretches the muscles under your foot. The only solution to this is to either largely strengthen your feet by doing exercises so that the muscle will support an arch on your foot or start running on your fore-foot as this will strengthen your feet and seems to work a lot better for flat footed people. Supportive shoes are not the answer as they only encourage your feet to be weaker. If you do decide to start running on your forefoot you should get some shoes that are "zero-drop" or have a very low heal to toe hight difference, it will take a bit of time to strengthen your calves and feet to run this way but it is definately worth it in the long run.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Is it okay to workout in barefoot shoes?
Rating: 100% based on 99998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment