Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Having heel pain and I'm a runner. Help?







Ok I just started training again 2 weeks ago after taking the winter off. I didn't go out especially hard, but I began to experience pain in my heel. It is not on the bottom of the heel, but instead, it is above the heel, kind of on one side of the heel, and it is below that big petruding bone (idk what it is called, but it is the noticeable one on the foot), at about 5 o'clock in relation to the bone. The pain is occuring in the left side of my right foot. I am nearly certain it is not a stress fracture, as it is only mild to moderate pain. However, I have been icing and resting for a few days, but I still do not feel a lot of relief. It is nearly unoticeable while walking, but I can begin to feel it when I run. I don't want to make it worse, but how should I go about solving this problem, and what could it be?

Also, I know resting and icing are good. I really want to know what exactly I should do.



Answer
See your health care provider as soon as possible (podiatrist). The most frequent causes of heel pain are sometimes referred to as injuries, but they aren't due to a single event such as a fall or twist. Each of the following problems usually brings tenderness and some swelling.
Plantar fasciitis:
Feet that flatten and roll inwardly (pronate) excessively when walking or running
Shoes with inadequate arch support
Sudden turns that put great stress on the ligaments
Running on hard surfaces or up hills
The retrocalcaneal bursa is a fluid-filled sac that surrounds the back of the heel. This may become inflamed (bursitis) due to pressure from shoes. For this reason, it is sometimes called a "pump bump." The inferior calcaneal bursa is located underneath the heel. Inflammation here is usually caused by landing hard or awkwardly on the heel.

The Achilles tendon is the large tendon that connects the calf muscles to the back of the heel. Achilles tendinitis occurs when the calf muscles repeatedly contract hard or suddenly. There are four factors that contribute to Achilles tendinitis:

Shortening of and lack of flexibility in the calf muscle--Achilles tendon unit (the main cause)
Shoes that don't provide good stability and shock absorption for the heel
Sudden inward or outward turning of the heel when striking the ground (this is due to the shape of the foot, an inherited trait)
Running on hard surfaces such as concrete or asphalt (running hills may contribute further to this factor)

Achilles Tendinitis. Stop exercising, apply ice twice daily to the tendon, and take a pain reliever with each meal for a week. After that, stretching is the most important treatment. Remember to stretch and hold the stretched position. Do not bounce.

Achilles tendinitis. A stronger oral anti-inflammatory medicine may be prescribed, but cortisone injections aren't done because they may weaken the tendon and lead to rupture. In particularly resistant cases, a walking cast may be tried. Surgery is almost never recommended.

One method of stretching the Achilles tendon is wall push-ups.

Slow improvement is the rule in most cases. If things are getting worse despite home treatment or if there is little progress after a month, see your doctor. I hope this helps you. And good luck.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Having heel pain and I'm a runner. Help?
Rating: 100% based on 99998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment