Friday, February 21, 2014

What's the best running shoe for overpronators?




coinqueen2


I started running after seeing my friend complete the NYC Marathon (Nov 1 09) and haven't stopped since.

Now that I'm getting more involved in building my base mileage (I'm up to 13 miles/ week now!), I'm beginning to realize how inappropriate my running sneakers are. Before running, I was heavily involved in just a 30 minute cardio routine and 75 minutes of very regimented weight training. So the New Balance 411 was okay for my regular workouts, but I'm finding it's not the best for my running.

After speaking with a friend who works in the running shoe business, he suggested that I stick with a New Balance shoe but come up to an 800 or a 900 level shoe.

I'm a mild overpronator and I'm looking at the New Balance 1225 and the New Balance 850. Does anyone have any feedback regarding these shoes?

I started off by looking at the New Balance 993 and the New Balance 904 first but wasn't impressed with the descriptions and the reviews.

I appreciate any feedback you can give me on New Balance sneakers.



Answer
I overpronate too, and the Brook's Addition series has been good. I started with Addition 7's and now have Addition 8's.

But perhaps more useful to you is how I ended up with them. Go to a running store with video analysis setup. That's a treadmill for you to run on with a video recorder. They take a baseline video of you running in stocking feet, then they haul out their top 3 or 4 stability shoes, you try each one one and run in them while they record your feet. In the slow mo playback you can actually see which pair makes your feet the most stable. It's actually pretty easy to see when they use that slow motion playback

running help?




malleydog9


I need to start running. i never ever run. so how should i start. like twice around the block? then 4 times around the block. help?


Answer
First, good on you for wanting to start running! It is a great activity to add to one's life.

Now, about starting, there is a training principle by Bill Bowerman called "hard-easy or Hard-easy-easy." This means for a hard day, you need to follow it with an easy day or 2 easy days. So with this thought, we will assume that your hard day is when you run with your easy days being off or walking.

Depending on you, you can either run for distance or time. If you can measure a course, try to get a 1-mile loop. Start out by running 1 mile. Then the next day, either walk 1 mile or don't go out. The day after try the 1 mile distance again. And then next day walk 1 mile. Then the day after that go for 1.5 miles. Then take the next day off followed with the day after with 1 mile walk. Try that for a couple weeks.

Also, make sure to get some good running shoes. LOTS of models out there, so if you can get to a TRUE running store, work with a knowledgeable clerk. Tell them what you want to do. Don't be shy if it is just to run to stay in shape or you want to run NYC Marathon in 2008.

Make sure to get about 3 pairs of comfortable running shoes. And some running shorts. Given you are a female, talk to a female runner you see and ask her about a jog-bra. (What to look for and what is a good brand.)

Couple side notes are that for the first 6 months, your legs are going to feel like they were put into a meat grinder. And your little inner voice will tell you it is okay to take the day off as you can start tomorrow. Don't listen to them. Just keep going.

See if there is a local running club you can join. If there is, I bet you will be surpirse about hoiw many other people are like you (just starting).




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: What's the best running shoe for overpronators?
Rating: 100% based on 99998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment