Wednesday, November 13, 2013

How long should I let my body recuperate from training before a fight?

best running shoes jacksonville fl
 on Eric Tallbacka / Tallbackanator - Flotrack
best running shoes jacksonville fl image



JAS


For those that know me, my training is doing well. My cardio is getting a lot better and i'm getting to where my weight is where i want it. For those of you who don't know me, I'm training for my 1st full contact bout. I anyone still wants to pass a long some ring/training wisdom, i would appreciate it. I'll be fighting Aug 17th at Plush in Jacksonville, FL.


Answer
Never "train" the day of an event. too many variables and it sucks to get hurt that morning and have to forfeit, especially your first match. Doing some cardio is fine, especially early the morning of since that will jump start your body's engines, so to speak. Your best bet is to cut back heavy training the final week, making most of your training situational, or "if I get into this, I do this", training, ie. if it's kickboxing work over your ringrope situations, escapes from the corner, parries and counters, etc. If it's MMA, mount escapes, side control escapes, takedown defense, etc. I like to work out the worst case scenarios because they are the things we forget the most, since we spend so much time on proper punching technique, kicking technique, submissions, whatever is your main weapon, and so little time on defending the other guy's weapons.

This is just my system, but the best advice I can give is don't train the morning of. Cardio, yes. Run, yes (in safe area with good shoes, a twisted ankle sucks). Train or lift weights, no. Good luck on the match.

Traveling on Spirit Airlines?




Andrew


For people who have traveled on Spirit Airlines, were you satisfied traveling on this airline? What is your opinion about traveling on Spirit? I have heard that there are a lot of bad things about this airline. Is that true?


Answer
I flew on the recently from Orlando to Fort Lauderdale to San Jose, Costa Rica, and then back.

The plane was new, well maintained, and safe... which is my #1 concern. Checkin in Orlando was easy and hassle-free. All Spirit employee's were very nice.

This was a surfing trip, so we had 3 surf board bags and 1 piece of checked luggage. All made it to Costa Rica with no problems. There was a $50 charge each direction for the board bags.

Boarding was easy, and the plane left on-time. We arrived in Fort Lauderdale on-time, and left Fort Lauderdale on time.

We arrived in Costa Rica a little before midnight, got our bags within 10 minutes of clearing immigration.

The way back was... not quite as good, but Spirit is not completely to blame.

Check-in took a long time in Costa Rica. The plane left at 1AM, we got to the airport at around 8PM. (It was a 9-12 hour drive to the airport through the mountains in rainy season so we had to give plenty of time) Checkin started at 10PM, and we were first in line to check in. They used hand-written receipts and boarding passes... the whole process in Costa Rica was a little annoying.... but our plane did leave on time.

We arrived in Fort Lauderdale on time.... and my connection was in 1 hour. Customs was not open, so we could not get off the plane for about 15 minutes. 45 minutes left til our next flight left.

We cleared immigration and entered the baggage area. All luggage and surf boards were there for two of us, the other two were still waiting. We grabbed our stuff and went to the Customs area. Cleared Customs.... here is where things got really bad. There were no clear instructions on where we were supposed to go. The baggage re-checkin was closed. We went upstairs to the regular checkin area, and the place was MOBBED. Fort Lauderdale airport at 7AM is a bad place to be. The SPIRIT area had a HUGE line... we cut everyone in line. We had no choice. Our bag's needed to be re-tagged to get them to Orlando. We needed our boarding passes for the next flight as well.

We finally got new tags, and gave our stuff to TSA. We cut everyone in the security line as well. RAN to the plane without our shoes on... as we heard the final boarding call for the connecting flight. We made it... but our friends were still sitting in Customs, because no one told them their luggage was still in Costa Rica.

So 2 of us made it on the plane to Orlando. We got to Orlando, and our luggage was there, but surf board did not make it. We called our friends stuck in Fort Lauderdale, and they saw someone with Spirit DRAGGING the bag through the airport.... the luggage person in Orlando was very nice.

The surfboards were fedex'd to Jacksonville, FL (where I live) I open them up, and they are damaged.

I call Spirit Customer Service, wait on hold for nearly an hour, and finally, they transfer my to their "Baggage Resolution Department". That department is closed or busy, so I leave a message. They dont call back. So I call customer service again, and get transfered, and the mailbox is full.

I did buy travel insurance for $12.00... and they covered the damage to my boards.... according to the website, the check is in the mail.

So.. to summarize:

1. One hour is not nearly enough time for an International Connection.... at least not inbound. there needs to be at least 2 hours. I blame Spirit for this, because this is the flight they come up with when booking.

2. Spirit's customer service is horrible.

3. Spirit is a cheap, safe airline.... which is what counts the most.

4. Generally speaking, everyone I have spoken with is very nice and professional, and with the exception of the mess coming back through Fort Lauderdale, it was a pleasant trip.


I WILL probably fly Spirit in my next trip to Costa Rica... but I will drive to Fort Lauderdale so I dont have to deal with an International Connection with fragile surfboards being handled too much.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: How long should I let my body recuperate from training before a fight?
Rating: 100% based on 99998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment