Friday, November 15, 2013

why does the top of my left foot hurts when I jog?

best running shoes midfoot strike
 on ... 300x300 What are the best shoes for underpronation
best running shoes midfoot strike image



Josue


I am trying to get into jogging on a weekly basis. Hopefully 2 times a week. But it seems that every time I go jog, the top of my left foot seems to hurt. At first it just seems to bother a little but the farther I go (midway through my 5 mile run) the worse the pain gets. The pain also seems to reduce the flexibility of my foot. It kind of hurts to raise my toes. After the run, the pain goes away and I don't feel any problems at all a few minutes after the run. I wear asics gel running shoes, run on pavement, and from what I can tell I have a regular arch in my foot. I also tried to figure out my type of running style and I would think its somewhere in between a midfoot strike and a regular heel-to-toe. But mostly heel-to-toe.

Does anyone know what this could be? And anything I can do to prevent it or treat it? I don't really feel like going to a doctor since I don't really think its an injury because I don't feel any pain a little after the run or the rest of the day.



Answer
It sounds like you are new to running. If that is the case you should NOT be running 5 miles. A new runner should start at no more than 1 mile and not increase weekly milage by more than 10% per week. Ramping up mileage really fast will lead to injury and is probably why you are experiencing problems with your feet. It could be some tendonitis building up from over training.

Now it could also be from running fast. Most people tend to notice upper foot pain when they are doing speed training or running faster than they are normally used to. As long as it is not effecting your stride/form and it does not result in increased pain both while running in the future as well as when you aren't running, then you can just run through the pain. But if it's changing your stride and making you limp, stop running, rest the area, ice it 1-2 times per day and lower your milage because it's an injury from over training most likely.

-Connor

Am I supposed to be midfoot striking while I am running?




In Hoc Sig


I have the nike lunarelite+ (I think that is the name), and they have a lot of support in them. Am I still supposed to be trying to midfoot strike in these shoes? If so, what is the correct method?


Answer
run the way it makes you feel comfortable. if you try to put your foot in a way that is not normal for your feet you could end up hurting them or tripping and falling. The shoes themselves are suppose to help you midfoot strike without you trying to run differently.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: why does the top of my left foot hurts when I jog?
Rating: 100% based on 99998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment