Wednesday, April 2, 2014

I want to start Cross Country running next year?




Lucille


I am a 15 year old girl, going to be in 10th grade next year. I want to be on the X country team and actually be very successful at it. I want to have good times. What are some really good running shoes for training and/or meets? Any other tips you have in general would be awesome! Thanks!


Answer
I suggest going to Roadrunner for some really good running shoes! I personally feel that running good running shoes vary between people. What I think is comfortable could be uncomfortable for you. If you are wondering though, I run cross country in Nike running shoes with custom soles (from Roadrunner).
Another popular brand is "Asics". :)

Here's some tips that my coach and even my really good XC friends give me. I find it to be really helpful! :)

Focus on your diet. What are you eating? Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables. In the morning a banana and oatmeal or toast is a good start before a run. Don't eat any acidic fruits such as grapes or oranges because they wont settle in your stomach as well. If so, eat them after a run. Drink Gatorade after a run as well, that way it will replace all your energy, or electrolytes lost in your body. If not Gatorade, plenty of water (a lot of it). Also, before a run, drink water constantly. But I strongly suggest in sips, because if I gulp down water before a run it just sloshes around in my stomach making me feel nauseous and it gives me cramps.

To plan when you eat think of it this way: The less time before a run, the less you eat. The best time to eat is two hours (2) before a run, that way your stomach has time to digest it.

Running tips: Stretch your legs, but never forget to stretch your upper body, because soreness can always appear in the upper body (especially the back or shoulders).
When running the best choice to run on is in this order:
1) Run on grass or dirt - it's softer and puts less pressure on your knees, making them less sore.
2) If not grass, then asphalt - again, less pressure.
3) Cement should always be your last choice - more pressure, more pain on your knees later.


Oh, and today as I was running I noticed a bad habit of my friend. She would always do this: Run as fast as she can. Then stop. Run as fast as she can. Then stop...This is a very bad habit for a runner, especially for a distance runner because first it will slow you down, and tire you out much more easily. Find a pace you can run consistently on. It will go much faster for you, plus it will save a lot more energy than you think it will.

Another thing that runners tend to do is if they are running with a friend or running and a person passes them, NEVER try to beat them because they are going at their own pace, which is different than yours. By doing that, you are for sure slowing yourself down because even if you do go past them, you can't continue that pace for a long time, as the other person can. So again, run at your own pace!

Also, get good running shoes. That should always be the first outfit item to think about for a runner. Uncomfortable shoes means more pain on feet, possibly more blisters, and a greater chance of injury.

Main points:

Drink plenty of water. Be watchful of what you eat. More fruits and vegetables.

You can also try "carbo-loading" which is where you eat tons of carbs such as pasta the day (or night) before the big race. It works for a lot of runners, but it varies. Sometimes it might not work in some people and you have to get your body used to carbo loading.

Build up to long distances!


GOOD LUCK! And have fun running! XC is so fun!

Is it okay for guys to wear girls' running shoes?




Entrusto


First let me get this straight: I am not gay. I'm just trying to get good running shoes for my last high school cross country season. My shoe size, a men's 6.5, is too small for normal stores to carry in men's sizes. The smallest they go to is an 8. They steered my towards the youth section, but they all suck! Plus I'm 17 yrs old and I think those are meant for elementary school kids. (Even in middle school my friends started wearing men's shoes while I was still wearing children's shoes.) I talked to my coach and he said to find women's shoes. My other coach also agreed and said that he had done it before and the girls on his team noticed... I don't know if I should follow his footsteps and go get women's shoes... Any suggestions? Thanks!


Answer
Do it and no one would be the wiser. With all the neon designs for both sexes and the "tough guys wear pink" stuff no one is going to be able to tell that you're wearing women's shoes. Besides buying specialty shoes designed for a woman are going to be far better for you than mock running shoes made for kids. Good luck in your season.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: I want to start Cross Country running next year?
Rating: 100% based on 99998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment