Sunday, April 27, 2014

New to Running, Need advice on Shoes?







Hello,

I am looking to start an exercise program. We have a treadmill in the garage and I would like to start using it. I have recently been told the importance of running shoes, I have always worn skate shoes that are loose, wide, and tied so I can slip them on. I have a feeling these are not ideal for running because the impact feels pretty rough when running.

Info that may help:
I have a low arches
I believe I have a neutral gait, possibly slight Overpronation
I will be running on a treadmill, with adjustable incline
I am overweight and out of shape

Any advice on shoes or even on getting started on running in general for an out of shape guy. I would appreciate the cost being as little as possible, keep it around $80 please(if it is more an REALLY worth the extra cost I will spring for them)



Answer
Definitely spring for good running shoes. Shoes are pretty much the only necessary equipment for a runner, so be sure to invest in them. Shoes make the difference between injury and injury free running. It's best to go to a running store and get fitted, but the shoes at specialty stores often cost a bit more. When you buy shoes there you are paying extra for the service (they often size your foot, examine your arches, do a gait analysis, etc). You can go to the running store and get all the service and then go online (roadrunnersports.com is a good website) and buy shoes cheaper there, though you might not want to admit that you have done that to some more hard core runners :). Remember that running shoes generally last from 300 to 500 miles. Even if they still look good after that, a lot of the padding has worn down and it's best to replace them.

As for getting started running, try a run/walk program to start (http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml). Don't let your ego tell you to run 2 miles your first day out. Having a strong running base will be really beneficial as you increase mileage and speed. Also, check out http://www.runnersworld.com/channel/0,7119,s6-380-0-0-0,00.html.

What is overpronation?

Q.


Answer
When you walk your foot is usually flat to the floor. In some cases your foot will have a slightly turn outwards. You may notice that your shoes tends to "slide" to the outside. This its overpronation.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: New to Running, Need advice on Shoes?
Rating: 100% based on 99998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment