Monday, May 19, 2014

Tips for running track? ?




Cheer4Life


Okay, so I'm planning on doing track this year. It doesn't start until spring, but I really want to excel so I'm going to start conditioning now. What should I do to get my body in shape? By the way, I'm looking to improve distance running. I'm naturally fast, but my endurance could be better. Also, can you give me some tips that I could use during the actual season? Thanks <3


Answer
Let me paste in what I wrote for a person with a very similar question: (Sorry, it`s long!)

"---To build up your endurance start jogging or running, whichever you can do best at this point and try to go farther each time. Try to build up to about 3.5 miles, or more. Once you reach that point, to build up your speed start adding in 10 second sprints to your regular pace every few minutes and add more and more in to your running. go to runnersworld.com. They have schedules, and also have nutrition, apparel, shoes, and other information. They also have a running forum for teenagers. Just click forum --> "High School".

Apparel: There`s lots of different things you might want, but as far as need, just make sure you have comfortable shirts and shorts, something that won`t chafe. My favorite brand is Nike, but there`s also Adidas, Reebok, and a lot of other brands. Nike`s Dry Fit shirts are pretty good. Get a few good sports bras too. I also suggest a watch; that`s always good for both running on your own and once track starts up in the fall. It`s very helpful to time your runs. You might want to listen to music on your runs. If so, buy an armband for your iPod and get some good earphones so they won`t fall out.

Shoes: There are a million shoes out there, and it all depends on the right one for you. On Runners World there is a shoe finder you should try. It takes into account if you need stability, support, etc, etc, and then gives you a list of shoes. Very convenient. Again, I like Nike, but Asics, Brooks, Adidas, and many, many more companies make great shoes. Once the season starts, you`ll need to purchase track spikes for the actual events. There are sprinters spikes and long distance spikes, so buy accordingly.

Stretch, do a cool down walk after you finish running. Before, eat a quick snack like 30 min. to a hour before your workout. Eat peanut butter, a banana, or something like a Powerbar.

Speaking of food, nutrition is VERY, VERY important!!! Do NOT eat donuts, cake, and junk food. I`m not saying never, but limit it. It is very beneficial to you, I promise. Eat wholegrain or multigrain foods, foods with lots of fiber, and lots of protein. Yes, eat carbs. COMPLEX carbs, not SIMPLE. Simple carbs are foods such as donuts, white bread, and the like. Eat your fruits and vegetables. A key rule for vegetables: The more colorful, the better. Eat foods like beans, sweet potatoes, frozen berries, low-fat yogurt and salmon. Also eat eggs, which make for a very healthy breakfast. They give you lots of energy. You can look up other good foods online. Be sure to drink plenty of water, especially since this is summer. Where I live, it`s been 90-100 degrees, so I run in the early morning or evening.

Run every other day. On your off days, cross-train. Bike, Swim, etc. etc. Don`t forget to do crunches and push-ups.---"

Now, since I know you`re doing Long distance, I can give some more advice. Long distance is what I run for track, and one of the most important thing to remember is that since we`re running for long distances, it`s important that you push yourself to do well, but don`t push yourself to the point that you`re doing too much.


To give you an idea of what you`ll be doing each day, here`s my track team`s schedule: (Though your school will probably be different)

Stretch for 15 minutes--> divide up into sprinters and Long distance. Long distance either does stuff like stadiums, or will do about 10 laps around the track. We`ll also do various other things. In the last half-hour of practice, we go to the weight room, and either lift weights, or do some serious push-ups, crunches, planks, etc, etc. I`m talking around 10 push-ups, 50 sit-ups, 10 diamond push-ups, 50 crunches, 30 second planks, and then start back to the beginning and we`ll usually repeat that twice.

If it rained, we`d go into the gym and the coach sets up stations. I.E. Stairs, push-ups, crunches, planks, etc.

Every team`s different, so yours probably won`t be exactly like that.

As far as tips, make sure that you eat like an hour before you run on meet days. It`ll give you lots of energy. Make sure that before the meets, you practice running like it`s the meet so you`ll get the competition mindset. My team always has a mock meet before the season officially starts.

As I mentioned in my answer to the other person, runnersworld.com is great! Runners World is a magazine, a very good one, and their website has a LOT of helpful information.

Sorry this was so long, but I hope I`ve helped!! Shoot me a e-mail if you have any other questions about running/ track. Track`s a great sport, and is very fun. Don`t overdo it in the beginning because your body needs to adjust. A good running quote: "Anybody can be a runner. We were meant to move. We were meant to run. It's the easiest sport."

Legs hurt after Running?




K.P.


I started this Valet job, and walking is not an option. I'm slightly overweight but I do as my job asks and I keep running. It's a lot of stop and go running. Some nights it's a constant run, others it's run and rest for 30 mins, either way I'm on my feet 5-7 hours a night.

Shin splints have come and gone. But there's this ache throughout my legs that KILLS! I have to take 5 Ibuprofen before every shift.

I notice this pain most when I do a good length of a run then get in the car to run it back, while I'm driving my legs throb so bad!

Background Info: Been working this place for almost 2 months, been eating bananas. I'm 23, 6'4" and about 240 lbs and try and stretch whenever I can, but it doesn't feel like a stretching problem.



Answer
I think there are a couple things to do to help the situation. First, you need some better shoes. Get a pair of Running shoes that will go with your uniform. I recommend that you go to a Running Specialty Store so they can identify whether your pronation is an issue ensuring you get the right type of shoe. Second, do some running specific stretches after you are done working. Third, away from the job, do some regular running to strengthen your legs. Fourth, your BMI is about 29 and should be below 25 meaning you are about 35 lbs overweight. The excess weight makes you legs hurt so losing some will really help and make you look good for the women! Eat lean proteins, lots of veggies and fruit and focus on complex carbs that are less refined and high in fiber. Stay away from fast food and white starches (potatoes, white bread, white rice, cakes, cookies, noodles). If you eat a healthier diet, with all your running, you can lose a pound or two per week.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Tips for running track? ?
Rating: 100% based on 99998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment