Saturday, September 7, 2013

How can I prevent a stress fracture from reoccurring?

best running shoes to prevent stress fractures
 on running shoe expert should be able to advise on a shoe that will best ...
best running shoes to prevent stress fractures image



1234321


I got a stress fracture in my femur from running cross country. When I start running again, how can I prevent this from happening?


Answer
It really depends on the severity and location of the fracture. Most typically, stress fractures require a rest from running for 4-6 weeks. I've got one that was bad enough to put me on crutches and take me out for 4 months!

When you do start again, be sure to start slow...run/walks. Jog a light pace for 1/4 mile, walk a 1/2 mile...this is really conservative, but just to give you idea.

You've got to really listen to your body...do not run until all sharp pains have subsided, when you can be up on your feet for an extended period of time without it hurting and you can walk prolonged distances without pain. When you do run, it pretty much should be painless...if not, you should go back to non impact activites such as biking.

High cushion socks such as Thorolo's level III will be helpful. Be sure to have the appropriate type of shoe for your foot. A reputable running store can typically help you out with this.

Finally, when resuming running, don't increase your distance/intensity by more than 10% per week. In other words, if you did 5 miles in one week, don't do more than 5.5 the next.

What happens if you run with shin splints?




-up in the


this is my first track season in high school, and i'm actually pretty decent. i've been getting really bad pains in my shins, and one day it was so bad, i couldn't even practice. but now it's not so bad, and its just in my left shin now. Everyone on the team says its shin splint, and it the way i land on my feet when i run. i know how to prevent shin splints now, but how can i get over them? and can i run with shin splints? and how do i know if i have a stress fracture?


Answer
If you had a stress fracture you couldn't run. Period. Shin splints are one of the many downsides to running. I've had them so many times but I've always just ran through mine. Try and by shoes with little or no support example track spikes, vibram five fingers, or just go bare foot. This makes you land on your toes which makes you faster and has much less impact. It is the healtiest way to run. Also to help fix them stretch them and drink milk or eat anything with calcium. If it gets really bad then take a few days off. It's not worth hurting yourself. I'm just too stupid to stop. Hope this helps.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: How can I prevent a stress fracture from reoccurring?
Rating: 100% based on 99998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment