Monday, September 30, 2013

What should I be able to do at a ballet audition?

best running shoes 2013 summer
 on LIONEL O GAUGE TINPLATE 214 ARMORED TRAIN 203 TANK ENGI
best running shoes 2013 summer image



Nicole


Hi, I have been dancing since I was five and am now turning 14 next month. I'm taking summer classes and dance only 3.5 hours a week. I have been on pointe for a year and three months. My dance teacher has not taught us turns on pointe besides soutenus and chaînés. I want to audition
For PNB's summer intensive in January in 2013 but I don't know what to expect. What do they usually have you do en pointe at the auditions?



Answer
For a ballet program like this, they will most likely check your body type. After that, you will be tested for flexibility and muscularity. After all that is done, you will start the audition. If the audition is an in class audition, which is where the audition is ran like a regular class and the instructor and directors see how you do in the class, the barre will not be en pointe but the center, adagio, petit allegro, grand allegro, and across the floor stuff will be.

Here are just a couple pointers on what you should be able to do:

Flexibility:
-You should be able to get into both your left and right split.
-You should be able to touch your nose to both of your knees when both legs are extended out in front of you.
-You should be able to to a heel stretch without struggle.

Barre:
-Nice plies. Many schools really look for a good second position grand plie because it can be the hardest to do. The second position grand plie must be low to the ground without your heels leaving the floor. If you can do this, it will show that you have the long and stretchy achilles tendons that academies look for.
-When doing exercises with a pointed foot, you should not sickle. So when doing tendus, grand battements, petit battements, ect...your toes should not get out of line with your heel and ankle.
-You should be able to hold your leg high when doing adagio at the barre, grand battements, and developpes.
-You should have a good turnout from the hip rotators.
-When told to balance on the ball of your foot, you should be able to hold it without your feet rolling left and right and without struggling to keep balance.

*Note: Barre work is not done en pointe. Just thought I'd throw it in there to give you a couple tips.

After barre work you will have time to put on your pointe shoes, stretch out, drink water, ect. Make sure when you put on your pointe shoes that your ribbon is tucked in and also that the drawstring is tucked in. Also, you should stretch out again just to make sure your body is prepared for center work.

Center:
*En Pointe

-Usually during auditions, the director or whoever is running the audition will not say practice your arabesque, attitude, pirouette, ect. Instead they will have you do adagio and allegro variations that they will first run through with you.
-When they are teaching you an allegro or adagio variation, make sure that you are in complete focus and paying close attention to everything.
-All allegro and adagio variations will be en pointe. And in these variations, there will be things such as pirouettes and pique turns.

It I was you, I would talk to your dance instructor and tell her that you are planning on auditioning for this program. Tell her that you need to learn some more advanced moves. So you should probably get a lot of private lessons with your instructor so he/she can personally teach you these moves.

Honestly, I wouldn't be too worried. You still have about 8 months to learn more. That is plenty enough time to get all the knowledge that you will need in order to audition for this program.

Good luck with your pointe work and audition! I hope you make it! :D

TEENS: Is anyone else doing NOTHING this summer?




R


I'm going to be a senior this fall. I'm panicking. I have good grades and okay test scores but NO activities outside of school. I pretty much just sit on the computer all day. It's sad, but I'm not outgoing or friendly and stink at sports.

The last few summers I have done nothing. This summer I applied to a bunch of jobs but got rejected from all of them because I am only 17. So I've just been sitting in my room, on my computer, basically doing NOTHING.

I feel guilty when I see other kids as camp counselors or doing sports. I'm scared that I won't be able to get into a good college...I literally have NO activities outside of school.

Anyone else? What should I do?



Answer
I was going to do pretty much nothing, then I made a summer bucket list :) If you want I can give it to you by editing my answer...... It has tons of stuff on it, I am sure you could find something to do from it! You know what, I never get notified when people update their questins. I will just give it to you now and if you don't want to use it you can ignore it :)

Oh I am also 17 so it should be mainly things you can do! They are lists from 2012 and 2013 :) Hope this helps!
2012
Solve a rubix Cube
Win a video game
Go on a blind date
Start a blog
Go bowling
Be on a radio show
Go to a drive in movie
Compose a song
Learn to play poker
Learn to juggle
Have an all day Disney marathon
Send a message in a bottle
Plant a tree
Learn to do a handstand
Spend an ENTIRE night out!
Build an amazing sand castle
Dance in the rain
Carve my name into a tree
Pull an all nighter at home
Go mini golfing
Walk up a down escalator
Say yes to everything for one week
Volunteer once a week
Play paint ball
Build a time capsule
Go to a midnight book, movie or cd release
Attend a book signing
Trace my heritage
make a music video
Play with dry ice
Go without electricity for a day
Do a split
Hula hoop with lots of hoops
Tye Dye a shirt
Make soda popsicles
Have an all night scary movie marathon
Hold a tarantula
Ride on a motorcycle
Surf
Donate blood
Drive a convertible
Color a whole coloring book
Visit a comic book store
Go fishing and cook what you catch
Geo cash
Remodel room

2013 Summer List
Buy white shoes and decorate them with markers!
Start running
Write a book
Shadow a journalist (or whatever job you are interested in)
Watch all Harry Potter movies in a day
Juggle adeptly
Crochet my niece an awesome blanket
Get a writing job
Write in a leather journal
Donate blood
Learn to walk in HIGH heels
Make a scrap book
Buy Wreck this Journal
Win giant stuffed animal, give it to a stranger
Paint roses red
Build teen blanket fort
Learn to skate backwards
Buy a skateboard!
How many licks to a tootsie pop?
Dye ends of hair a crazy color
Use fake name in starbucks
Write letter to future self
Send my niece postcards
Start webisodes
Get a bank account -_-
Pay for the persons behind me stuff
Do a 365 photo project with my phone camera (look it up haha)
Write in journal every day
Bake a chocolate cake from scratch
Get my sewing machine out and sew article of clothing
Learn sign language
Keep a plant alive!!
Make a calander
Wear a fake mustache all day
Finish whole tube of lipgloss
Leave notes in my favorite books at Barnes and Noble
Make a quilt
Do a paint by number
Surf
Rock red lipstick
Buy a mandolin
Learn to knit
Buy polaroid camera
Find cool typewriter
Finish entire coloring book
Read every book I own (this will take a while ;D I read a lot...)
Cook a campfire dinner
Win a video game
Use coupons
Have face paint done!




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: What should I be able to do at a ballet audition?
Rating: 100% based on 99998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment