Sunday, October 27, 2013

Do I have shin splints or a stress factor?

best running shoes after stress fracture
 on Running Shoes | Clothes | Accessories | Advice
best running shoes after stress fracture image



Elizabeth


About a month ago I started running to get more exercise. The sneakers I was using weren't for running and I developed shin splints which hurt while running only. I switched to better running shoes and continued running. Now my shin pain is constant, while walking though I haven't ran since last night. I can hop on my leg a few times but it hurts a lot after the first few. I'm not sure if my shin splints are just worse or developed into a stress fracture?


Answer

Is it possible to get a chronic stress fracture from running?




Kelsey


I have run competitively for the last 7 years of my life and I am now 21 and I can't go on a run longer than 2 miles without having pain in my lower shin. The doctor called it a stress fracture and so far this will be the fourth time I have been told its a stress fracture in a 4 year span. It keeps coming back and I take about 2 to 3 months rest when it does come back. Will it ever go away? Or has anyone gotten anything like this before?


Answer
If you mean by 'chronic' that you continue to get them, they don't go away and you can't run or train like you would like than YES, you can experience chronic stress fractures. A SEVERE stress fracture in my book would be one that literally cracks your shin bone.
I have had 3 bad stress fractures in my 35 years of running and racing. Two in my shin and one in my foot. If one of your episodes with this condition was or is severe you would know it from an x-ray, although sometimes inflammed tissue will hide it. I suggest trying to reduce this inflammation with ice and anti-inflammatory (Iboprofin) and then asking for an X-Ray. When I was 17 I had to take 6 weeks off from x-country training and swim everyday to stay in shape.
When I was 40 I trained for about 4 months for a marathon. race day came and I felt great and was running just under 8 minutes a mile pace. I felt pain at mile 7 and dropped out at mile 13. In that episode I received an X-ray that day and the fracture was visible enough to get a CAST that I had to wear for 6 weeks!
My point to my story is unfortunately you can continue to get them BUT when you do have one its important that you get a good assessment of how bad it is, so you can take the proper time off for it to heal, do what you can to stay in shape in that period, and try some things to avoid getting another one like:
- Holding your foot off the ground and rotating your foot around in circles 20 - 30 times before you run.
- Walking on your heels for one minute as part of your stretching regimen before you run.
- Grabbing a towel or clothes with your toes a couple of times a day for about 2 or 3 minutes, EVERYDAY. Its lind of funny but is geat for your shins and hey, your honing a new way to pick up your dirty socks and underwear from the floor. HA!
- And YES, there is always the SHOE ISSUE. There are some running shoe stores that will assess your stride and foot strike for free (roadrunnersports.com). New shoes that are RIGHT for you may end up being expensive but its worth it if this is the main cause to your problem.
- Change up the surface you run on. Park grass is best, then trails, then sidewalk, then asphalt streets. Too much street running is not good - period.

GOOD LUCK! .. and if you love to run and compete... don't give up.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Do I have shin splints or a stress factor?
Rating: 100% based on 99998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment