Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Marathon training tips?

best running shoes ever 2013
 on The best running shoe ever! - Asics GEL-Excel33 Running Shoes (For ...
best running shoes ever 2013 image



Moto64


For the last couple of weeks I've started training for a marathon coming up on December 8th, 2013. The training is going well, and today I completed my longest run (8 Miles). I was wondering if anyone has any tips for training, like tips for what type of gear I should get and any tips that will just help me in my training. I live in TX, so I am thinking about buying a camelbak to take on my long distance runs, and I am also thinking about getting a roller massage thing to help my calves. 2 questions though?

- 1) For the last 2 weeks I've been running with my favorite running shoes, my Nike Free runs that I've had for 5 years. Would ya'll reccomend that I get some new shoes for my training? I love my free runs, but am worried that them being so old will hurt in the long run.

- 2) What type of gel packs, or foods do you reccomend eating on the run? I'm a vegan, so I think my choices for gel packs will be somewhat limited.

My dad competed in this same marathon last year, and he said it was miserable. He is in awesome shape, but I feel like he didn't really prepare properly for such a long run, so i want to make sure not to make the same mistakes as him. So any help is appreciated!



Answer
I'll start with your numbered questions:

1. You will probably need new shoes. Probably a couple of pair. Shoes last 300-500 miles, depending on how hard you are on them. Your Nike's are probably well into that, and you will likely wear out another pair along the way. Most people running longer mileage, like training for a marathon, will get 2 pairs of shoes, then rotate them every other day so they can dry out completely and the cushioning can fully recover. And you can wait twice as long before buying shoes again.

2. You will have to figure out what kind of foods your body can handle, since your situation is specific. You might consider Googling that specifically, "Marathon fueling for vegans". If the gels are vegan, they work, but I've never liked the flavor of any of them. There are more options out there than ever, like bars and stuff that are stomach friendly.

If you are going to take a camelbak I would say only use it during normal runs when you really need it, and when using it for long runs try to get a pattern for when you'll use it in the race. Your weekly long run should be treated like a dress rehearsal for the marathon - wake up at the same time, eat the same breakfast, run at the same time, hydrate and eat during the run at the same mile markers you plan to during the run. This lets you fine-tune things so that there are no surprises on race day.

A roller to massage your muscles may or may not be a big help. The main thing is to make sure you warm up properly before runs, and take some time to cool down and stretch out thoroughly after running. You have to let your body recover, unless you are in really great shape you can't go run 15 miles then jump straight into 2 or 3 hours of yard work. After long or hard efforts, avoid taking really hot showers, keep the water warm, there is some evidence that hot showers could aggravate inflammation.

Stick to your training plan, avoid missing workouts, but listen to your body and make sure it is getting enough rest, especially after long runs. Once your long runs get up there in mileage, it may take an extra day for your legs to bounce back.

Why do people care about wealth?




Some


Serious question for those not necessarily poor but certainly for all who are not rich, as well as anyone who can perhaps provide me with some insight. I'll be blunt--i come from a wealthy family and have grown up with my best and most solid friends coming from similar backgrounds. I have had a slew of other friends over the years from middle class backgrounds and some even poor with whom friendships typically dissolved. My question applies in general, however, for the beliefs and feelings of those not considered in the upper classes of society. Why so much hate? I know not everyone hates, but why do so many for such trivial reasons? Over the years I've had people try and belittle me for my clothes (things like polos costing $200) shoes, pants, hats, car, (this list is probably irritating a lot of you, but that is not the intent), jewelry, etc. People just point it out for no reason and act like i'm an idiot because I have these things, like I don't know how to manage money. But it's quite the opposite. I received a large sum of money for my 18th birthday because I never drank in high school, and I did not lie about it to my family either. I never told anyone about that gift, spare my closest friends. Word got out and random people I weren't even acquainted with would heckle me over it. I will also say I am definitely not stupid, nor is anyone in my family, and we are all hard workers. So why is it, that jealousy runs so rampant with some? How can someone's lifestyle really be offensive to another and why do those who feel they are being offended believe they need to make affluent people feel guilt? Why do they care how my family and I spend our money? It doesn't affect them in the slightest. Is this some sort of inferiority complex? Those who are capable, please elaborate. thanks.
i'm not a republican or a democrat haha. assumptions like that are the type of accusations i'm talking about.
i love how i ask this question and immediately receive responses from people regarding my lifestyle of which i have told you very little. shoulda posted this in psychology.



Answer
It's not about hate. It's about what's good for the people and good for the country.

If you haven't seen the chart here, check it out. It shows what Americans WANT the distribution to be, what they THINK it is, and what it REALLY is:

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/ezra-klein/2011/02/what_americans_think_about_inc.html

Why the rich should pay more taxes
http://www.zompist.com/richtax.htm

Food-insecurity in the US is at the highest number ever recorded, with 1 in 4 â 16 million -- American kids and 7.5 million seniors going to bed hungry.

https://www.charitysub.org/hunger-in-america

The USA is the worldâs biggest tax haven. 31 countries have a higher tax burden than the U.S., IOW are more socialized and provide more services for their people.

List of countries by tax revenue as a percentage of GDP
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_tax_revenue_as_percentage_of_GDPE

Easy-Read Chart on countriesâ taxes as % of GDP
http://tv.msnbc.com/2013/04/09/usa-is-the-worlds-biggest-tax-haven-which-the-gop-should-remember-while-it-honors-thatcher/

Corporate income taxes
http://www.oecd.org/newsroom/41498733.pdf (see on page 2 the taxes on corporate income by country as a percentage of GDP)

##




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Marathon training tips?
Rating: 100% based on 99998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment