Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Running w/ high top shoes for ankle support?




Petra


Has anyone tried this? If so, which shoe??


Answer
Hi-tops are not good for running because they rub and constrict your ankles. hi-tops get part of their stability from the ankle laces. Running shoes are designed to be stable by simply wrapping around yoru foot while leaving your ankle free, so you'd want the ankle support to be different from the shoe so they're not dependent on each other.

Running shoes for ankle support?




Liz


I love to run, but I haven't been able to since late July because I injured my ankle and it still hasn't healed.=( To make a long story short, I have been dealing with anorexia for 1+ year, and when I regained some of the weight I lost, I resumed running this past summer. I must have increased my duration and intensity too quickly because within two weeks, I began experiencing pain in my inner, left ankle. I ran on it about 4 or 5 times since, as I thought it had healed and was just stupid. I saw an orthopedist and had x-rays 6 weeks ago, but he couldn't see anything. I have a follow-up this Tuesday for x-rays and an MRI, if I still have the pain, which I do. I even feel pain at times when I am just sitting or lying down, and sometimes, I twirl my foot lightly or bend it up and down to relax the pain, and I can hear the bone kind of popping or cracking. I don't know what is wrong, but I am really worried because I feel like it is never going to heal and I will never run again.=( I am still underweight, and I exercise a lot on the elliptical and in other low-impact ways, so could that be contributing to it not healing?

Well, I was just wondering if any runners out there could please recommend some running shoes to me? I haven't bought new ones in years, and I think it is time. I know I can't run now, but I think it would still help my ankle for support anyway. Thanks a lot for listening and hopefully for some advice! Take care.=)



Answer
Liz, first off let me congratulate you on working on your problems of anorexia. That is a difficult battle as I have worked with anorexia patients. One of the things you have to understand is that when you have lost weight in anorexia a significant portion of the loss is muscle. As I am sure that you know the body has to make up the necessary fuel from somewhere and it comes mostly from muscle. So in your case there is a good chance that the muscles and tendons are in a weakened state. You are now asking the muscles in the feet to stabilize a rather tall structure while in a weakened state. I would suggest that you get the MRI scan to make sure that nothing is going on. Then I would suggest that you see a podiatrist who can analyze your gait and perhaps fabricate orthotics for the feet. The orthotics would keep the feet in a neutral position thereby reducing the stress on the structures of the feet. Another aspect of this is to strengthen the muscles of the feet and legs. Do this under supervision to make sure that the movements being done are being done correctly so there will be no further stressing of an area that is not wanted. There are proprioception exercises that can also be done to help you relearn where you foot is in space. A simple one is to stand near a wall but not touching it. Elevate one foot off the ground and attempt to stand there for one minute. Upon completion of that foot switch to the other. When you get to the point of being able to do that for one minute close your eyes and then do it until you are able to reach one minute. There are many of these exercises that are available to you in increasing levels of difficulty. If there is nothing structurally wrong with the foot then start on these. Ask the podiatrist for some or if you are going to stay with the orthopedist ask them. But just stretching out muscles and tendons without knowing what the problem is can only lead to possibly further injury. As for the shoes, I would suggest that you get fitted properly for running shoes at a shop where runners go. I am sure that there is a runner's club somewhere in your area. Stop in or call them and ask what shop or shops do their runners use. A proper fitted shoe will allow the foot to move in it without being restricted and give you the support that you need. Also shoes have a limited time frame on their shock absorption so ask about how many miles you can expect to get out of a pair of shoes.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Running w/ high top shoes for ankle support?
Rating: 100% based on 99998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment