Saturday, August 31, 2013

How long did it take you to get your calve strength up to par running barefoot on hard surfaces?

best running shoes children
 on Buy Discount Shoes - Get the Best Shoe Deals on the Web
best running shoes children image



Jack


The only thing currently holding me back while running barefoot is the backside of my calves. They just can't hold out very long endurance wise running on hard surfaces such as concrete. I run on soft surfaces like trails whenever I can and have no problem, but this isn't always an option for me. So I've been trying to strengthen my calves so I don't have this issue anymore. After a year of running however, I have still yet to achieve stability in my calves endurance wise. I can only run a mile or so before I just can't go any farther. Whereas in normal running shoes, I can run for far longer distances. How long did it take you to be able to run barefoot without calve issues and do you have any recommendations for me as an amateur barefoot runner? Thank you.


Answer
Having grown up as a barefoot runner I never had to make the transition from shod running. My feet and legs were accustomed to the barefoot posture and running stance - which generally means running forward on the front of the foot rather than running upright on the flat of the foot or heel.

I have never been able to run long distance in shoes and I have never won a race over any distance with shoes. Barefoot is a different thing altogether, because the foot is functioning as it was originally designed. Barefoot I have won many long distance and marathon races, but I am not a sprinter, so short distance does not feature often in my trophy cabinet.

Sometimes I have had the opportunity to work with a person trying to adapt from shoes to barefoot. It is usually a matter of getting the mind to accept that being barefoot is ok rather than anything else. I have only once come across the problem you describe with calve muscles, and that guy tried hard for months to get his foot to contact the ground correctly, but had worn shoes from childhood and was far too long into the habit (he was about 30 years old at the time) to be able to adapt. He learnt from the problem and made sure his son, at that time just a child, never wore shoes except for some formal occasions. His son still has natural bare feet and runs like the wind. He now outperforms me, for which I am grateful.

I am sorry I can't give you some advice to help, but I thought I would tell you my story in any case. I am a professional person and have no trouble being barefoot most of the time.

My daughter is going to start GIRLS ON THE RUN, it's a 10week program twice a week, what's a good running shoe?




lil liz


what is a good running shoe for my 8 year old? and does it really matter, just as long it's a running shoe?


Answer
You should take her to a reputable running store, and ask them which shoes will be best. If the store you go to won't, or can't, help you, then go to another until you find a good one that will help you.

Young growing bones need a good shoe, and just listening to someone over the internet isn't going to provide you with a shoe that fits correctly, and gives the support that her feet needs. You need an expert to see how the shoe fits, and make sure that the shoes will give her feet support, and room to grow.

There are many different types of running shoe, and there are many different types of feet and running style. You need to have a pair that will suit you, and this is especially important for children.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: How long did it take you to get your calve strength up to par running barefoot on hard surfaces?
Rating: 100% based on 99998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment