Wednesday, January 22, 2014

What running shoes offer good arch support?

best running shoes insoles
 on Running Shoes - less is best - Ultra Adventures
best running shoes insoles image



Shirley


I need a good arch support in my running shoes. What do you recommend that is light yet offers good support? I have been having pain in the arch of my foot for some time, especially when I get out of bed in the morning.


Answer
First of all you need to stretch your calves in the morning when you get up, a couple times during the day, and at night before you go to bed. The reason your arch hurts when you get up in the morning is most probably (like most people) your toes are pointed while you sleep. This causes your plantar fascia to contract for 6-8 hours. So stretching will help keep the PF limber and over time the pain will subside.

As for shoes. In a perfect world I would tell you to go see a podiatrist (who runs) and get fitted for custom orthotics (insoles fit to your feet that you can put in any shoes to give you the support you need). I've had good results with Brooks Trance, Brooks Adrenaline, Mizuno Wave Inspire, and a handful of New Balance shoes (but they only number their models and change the model numbers over time so I've lost track of which ones).

Go to a specialized running store and get fitted. (Not Sports Locker, Finish Line, Hibbits, Dicks, or any store that calls itself a "sporting good store").

Can I put an insole in minimalist running shoes?




emmymcq


I want to get a pair of minimalist running shoes because they are so lightweight and flexible. The drawback for me is the sheer lack of cushioning.


Answer
You can, but why? The point of using minimalist shoes is to run with good technique. If you are running with good technique, then you don't need cushioning. If you add cushioning, then you are defeating the whole purpose of running in minimalist shoes. My advice is to clean up your technique, rather than compensate with added cushioning.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: What running shoes offer good arch support?
Rating: 100% based on 99998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment