Thursday, January 23, 2014

Why do I always get blisters when running?

best running shoes it band problems
 on PlanetJune by June Gilbank � Beading / Jewellery
best running shoes it band problems image



yomi


Although I do run on gravel the majority of the time, I have good running socks, excellent shoes and normal pronation. I run a lot and don't usually have problems with blisters, but this summer I've been getting them at the outside bottom of the morton's extension on both feet. I can't think of anything that may have changed my running form, and the blisters are painful and annoying.

Any suggestions for prevention or treatment? :)



Answer
you might not be used to running as much as you are currently running or you might not be used to your shoes. perhaps your running shoes aren't specifically made for running or they aren't good for your feet. you could try the nike frees 5.0 ... they are amazing! maybe you could put a band aid where you are getting your blisters so that area wont rub as much when you are running. good luck!

What do dancers do to their pointe shoes before they ever put them on?




pufferoo


I remember hearing years ago that they would hammer on the box of the shoe to make it more malleable, or that they would use something called Fabulon. I heard of one dancer who used to put the box end of the shoe in the crack between a wall and a door and slam the door right on the box, breaking it down.

Are shoes so different today that nobody has to "condition" or soften their pointe shoes any more?

Thanks!



Answer
Ah... braking in pointe shoes. I'll admit, I go through a pair per performace and for classes/rehearsals, I manage to kill two per week....You'd think, after centuries, they'd have found a way to build a better, more durabl pointe shoe, but they haven't.

I wear Russian Pointe Entrada shoes, which thankfully come pre-arched with a medium-hard flexible shank and a medium vamp. I love these shoes to death and they come out of the box more ready-to-wear then some of the other shoes I've given a try.

Still, no shoe can come out of the box, go onto your foot and into class. When I have time to break in a shoe (which I never do anymore), on my day off, I'll wear them to clean my apartment, the simple act of walking on them, and rolling through your foot will help them mold to your foot. I've also slept in my pointe shoes to do this. Beware though, in cleaning your room/apartment, cover your shoes with a thin pair of socks, your kitchen floor may turn into a slip'n'slide, but that's better than having dirty pointe shoes!

Most of the time though, I take out the pointe shoes, sew the ribbons (I don't use elastic) three-quarter the shank, pound on the box with a hammer while it's covered by a clean cloth to keep it clean, use a knife to detach the arch of the shank from the shoe so I "pop" into pointe, and then I place rubbing alcohol on the box to mold it to my foot. This takes me about ten minutes (and I've been known to do this on the Metro ride to the studio and get some very odd looks)

I've also always had a big problem with slipping, besides dousing the shoe with rosin :), for class/reheasal/teaching shoes, I cut off the satin on the toe of the pointe shoe and with a thin but firm needle, I sew the edges to the white sock lining of the shoe and sand paper the satin-less toe (I recommend using a thin dental floss for this), or when they're perforance shoes, I use a really hard sand paper to rough the satin up, I also take the sand paper to the shank under the ball of my foot, which I do to all the shoes I wear. This works nicely to stop the slipping.

However, I DON'T RECOMMEND THESE EXTREME TECHNIQUES FOR BEGINNING POINTE DANCERS!!!!!!!! And I do that out of love. Breaking in you first pair of shoes is a labor of love and there's no need to quickly break in a shoe if you intend to use it for the next six months. I don't. My shoes have the life span of a mosquito and the methods I use to break my shoes in are most of the reason why.

Step on them to get the rigidity out of the box and bend the arches but for God's sake, don't run them over with a car. For the love of dance, that's just a great way to ruin the shoes. In retail, my shoes run about $72. We get them straight from the Russian Pointe so there's a discount but still, if you don't know what you're doing to break in your shoes, you're throwing away money!! (and God knows that dancers don't make enough to begin with! :) )

P.S. A note on sewing shoes. As I said, I use a thin dental floss to sew because it's indestructible and will last you forever. Trust me on this one, dental floss is best, but make sure you get the thin stuff. Also, before sewing on your ribbons, burn the ends LIGHTLY with a lighter so they don't fray - I highly recommend using a lighter because matches and/or candles just don't work as well or as evenly. And when you are sewing on the elastic ( if you use it - I don't) make sure you don't sew through the actual elastic inside the band, if you do, random ends of elastic will stick out on the inside of your shoe - unattractive. Lastly, although you should have tightened the draw string before you began sewing, DO NOT SEW THROUGH THE DRAWSTRING! I'm working through a severe ankle injury, post-surgery, and the tendon on the inside of my ankle would swell. I still danced on said bad ankle (which I don't recommend) but I had to loosen the drawstrings on my left pointe shoe, so never sew through the drawstring, in case you need to readjust.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Why do I always get blisters when running?
Rating: 100% based on 99998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment