Saturday, February 8, 2014

I'm moving to Vancouver from London (UK) in September of this year.?




Alan


I'm planning to live around Mount Pleasant and I was after some general advice about the city. I've been there before but only for a couple of days. I spent a year studying in Ottawa in 2007.

How much do you reckon food and travel etc will cost me a month? (I should be in walking distance of my work)
Good places to go? Good places to avoid? (I'm 24)
is it worth investing in a bike?
Am i going to need as many cold weather clothes as I did in Ottawa?
Anything else I haven't mentioned that you think i ought to know!
Cheers!



Answer
If you can walk to work, that won't cost a thing except shoe leather. Bus fare for within one zone is $2.50 for a single fare, and a monthly pass is $81. You won't need anywhere near as much winter clothing as you did in Ottawa. Main thing in a Vancouver winter is staying dry. If you do that, you're probably warm enough too. Most people manage most of the winter with waterproof footwear and a medium weight rainproof jacket. I haven't been in a London winter but for gardeners, the Vancouver climate is reckoned to be much closer to that of Britain than that of the rest of Canada. Clothing you can layer is very useful especially in spring and fall when it can go between cool and drizzly to warm and sunny several times a day. I keep a few items of clothing in my closet for the occasional times it snows or gets really cold( below zero) and some winters I never even look at them.

Many people use their bikes all year round in Vancouver.

Food cost is a little hard to judge because it depends so much on how you manage it. For a single person to eat reasonably well at home, I'd figure on around $50 a week. Vancouver is filled with reasonably priced restaurants of all kinds so eating out doesn't need to cost an arm and a leg.

There's really no part of Vancouver I wouldn't go in daytime, even as an unaccompanied woman. There are parts (of the Downtown East Side particularly) that I would avoid after dark, but then every city in the world has some of those. I wouldn't worry about the personal safety side of things, but I think bike theft is pretty common.

As for where to go, I hardly know where to start. Vancouver has a lot of activities available, indoors and out. One of the nicest things about it is that when the weather turns fine, even for a day, people get outside and enjoy the sunshine. Summers are beautiful, warm and generally dry, but winter can be a bit of a trial. It can start turning grey and damp in September and stay that way till about now. But it doesn't usually rain hard enough to stop people from doing things. You can find people playing tennis in December.

Honeymoon in Vancouver/Whistler BC Canada..?




ron1971920


early february 2011....besides skiing/snowboarding what else to do, besides lots of sexy time. Experiences and suggestions of places and things to do/see.


Answer
Up in Whistler besides the skiing/snowboarding, you could also snow shoe or ice skate, which are both quite fun activities. Besides doing that, Whistler also has a village you can walk around. Inside the village there are stores like, Lululemon,Billabong, Northface,etc. In the Whistler village there is also a movie theater, that plays new releases. The have a variety of restaurants, Spaghetti Factory, Grills, Bars,etc.
I was up in Whistler for my birthday last year, and I found it to be quite enjoyable. There are sometimes some people performing all around the village. A shop you should visit in Whistler is definitely a store called Cows. I adore it. It's an ice cream parlour along with a store, It's adorable with some really cute finds and souviners.

I've been living in Vancouver all my life, and it's beautiful. In Vancouver it's beautiful. In Febuary it may be a little chilly, so remember to wear a sweater or a jacket. Places that you should visit are Granville Island, Stanley Park, Downtown. Aquarium,Capilano Suspension Bridge, Canada Place etc.
If you want to experience some culture, head down to Chinatown. There's a variety of Chinese shops, restaurants, and other things. But I must warn you, it can get a little scary down there because the homeless/addicts do tend to wander around there.
Downtown is a must visit! With many shops, restaurants,etc. Also downtown you may get to see the Olympic torches from the 2010 games. Robson street is the main shopping street of downtown.
Stanley Park is also a MUST. Vancouver is best known for Stanley Park. Stanley Park's attractions include, Totem Poles, the Vancouver Aquarium, Hanging Gardens,Prospect Point,etc. Also inside Stanley Park there are two beaches, Second and Third Beach.

I hope this helped, and I hope you have fun in Vancouver in your furute visit :)




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: I'm moving to Vancouver from London (UK) in September of this year.?
Rating: 100% based on 99998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment