Saturday, February 8, 2014

Plantar Fasciitis?




Chitowngal


I'm not sure if I have it. All I know is I have tenderness in my left heel. Worse in the morning. I don't feel like a knife is sticking into my foot. I do my aerobics just fine... then an hour or two later, my foot is more tender. It is just slightly more bloated than my other foot (swelling maybe)?

Question... do you think I have Plantar Fasciitis?

If so, what do you recommend I do to treat it?

Not exercising is not an option. I just changed my shoes and have been doing more lifting and less cardio (jumping etc). Any advice on this?

What will happen if I continue exercising as usual? I am assuming the problem was my shoes and I have changed them. I have heard that it should heal on its own within a year. Am I good to go with exercise then? I can tolerate the discomfort afterwards... as long as I know I'm not doing any permanent damage.



Answer
Be careful... Not taking care of this can lead to a long painful recovery later on See the doc Do the proper exercises and observe the restrictions or "not exercising not being an option" may suddenly no longer be an option.

read on below:

d: Plantar fasciitis is the most common cause of heel pain for which professional care is sought. A variety of terms have been used to describe it including jogger's heel, tennis heel, Policeman's heel, and an outdated term, gonorrheal heel reflecting the old thought that it was somehow related to that sexually transmitted disease.

Pathophysiology: The plantar fascia originates on the medial tubercle of the calcaneus and fans out over the bottom of the foot to insert onto the proximal phalanges and the flexor tendon sheaths. It forms the longitudinal arch of the foot and functions as a shock-absorber as well an arch support. The term fasciitis may be somewhat of a misnomer since the disease is actually a degenerative process with or without inflammatory changes, which may include fibroblastic proliferation. This has been proven from biopsies of fascia from people undergoing surgery for plantar fascia release. It is commonly believed to be caused by repetitive microtrauma to the fascia.

Frequency:

* In the US: Plantar fasciitis accounts for about 10% of runner-related injuries and 11-15% of all foot symptoms requiring professional care. It is thought to occur in 10% of the general population as well. It may present bilaterally in a third of cases.

Mortality/Morbidity: Plantar fascitis probably may lead to significant morbidity placing strict activity limitations on the patient. In addition, due to the pain in the foot leading to changes in patterns of bearing weight, associated additional injury to the hip and knee joints may also occur.

Race: Race and ethnicity play no role in the incidence of plantar fasciitis.

Sex: The condition occurs equally in both sexes in young people. Some studies show a peak incidence may occur in women aged 40-60 years.

Age: The condition can occur at any age. As mentioned, a peak incidence may occur in women aged 40-60 years.

CLINICAL Section 3 of 11 Click here to go to the previous section in this topic Click here to go to the top of this page Click here to go to the next section in this topic
Author Information Introduction Clinical Differentials Workup Treatment Medication Follow-up Miscellaneous Pictures Bibliography

History:

* The patient reports inferior heel pain with the first few steps taken in the morning or after other long periods of nonweightbearing.

* A limp may be present, and patients may prefer to walk on their toes.

* Initially, the pain decreases with ambulation but then increases throughout the day as activity increases. Pain is worsened by walking barefoot on hard surfaces or by walking up stairs.

* Associated paresthesias, nocturnal pain, or systemic symptoms should raise suspicion of other causes of heel pain (ie, neoplastic, infectious, neurologic causes).

* Patients may report that before the onset of pain, they had increased the amount or intensity of activity including, but not limited to, running or walking. They may have also started exercising on a different type of surface, or they may have recently changed footwear.

Physical:

* The patient may have tenderness upon palpation of the anteromedial aspect of the heel.

* Ankle dorsiflexion may be limited due to tightness of the Achilles tendon.

* Pain may be exacerbated by passive dorsiflexion of the toes or by having the patient stand on his or her toes.


Causes:

* The cause of plantar fasciitis is unclear and may be multifactorial. Because of the high incidence in runners, it is best postulated to be caused by repetitive microtrauma. Possible risk factors include obesity, occupations requiring prolonged standing, heel spurs, pes planus (excessive pronation of the foot), and reduced dorsiflexion of the ankle.

Best walking shoes for plantar fasciitis?




AnnabellAc


I was just diagnosed with plantar fasciitis. My pain is located on the side of my right foot (where that bump is). It sometimes causes aching through my arch as well, but the worst of the pain is on the side of my foot.

I am a walker (3-5 miles a day). My doctor suggested that I get top of the line walking shoes. Good shoes are key. He mentioned New Balance and Saucauny. But said that it really depends on what my foot finds relief from. So, my question is this.......there are HUNDREDS of different shoes out there. So, to all people who also suffer from side-of-foot plantar fasciitis, what are the best walking shoes you have found?

....just trying to find a starting point. Thanks!
@ Douglas: You're an idiot. Anyone with a brain knows that your foot needs good support. And when the muscles/tendons are damaged, you need really good support even more. Why? Simple: to help take the stress and weight off of your foot so that your foot can begin to heal itself. Surgery is another option if things get worse, but good shoes are ESSENTIAL. I'm a dancer and can vouch for this. You are a complete idiot if you honestly think it doesn't matter.

If you think my doctor is such a hack - I find it kind of interesting that he is asking me to buy a pair of shoes over spending thousands of dollars (which would go to him) for surgery. I'm pretty sure he knows what he's talking about.

Don't answer questions if you have no idea what you are talking about.



Answer
Hi there,

Since you have been "officially" diagnosed with Plantar Fasciitis then you already know that this condition is hard to get rid of, but it's not impossible.
What I find odd is the location of your pain, usually the pain is located in the heel/arch area, but yours is on the side of the foot so I wonder if it's really PF.

In your specific case I would go in a slightly different direction - Concentrate on recovering from your foot pain (Of course the correct shoes and inserts are part of that).

In order to help you in the best way possible please answer these short questions:

1) Do you have any pain in your heel?
2) Do you have high arches or flat feet?
3) What kind of shoes you usually wear?
4) Do you have pain especially after rest or after a night sleep?
5) Is there any redness or swelling visible?

Here are things you should do to improve you condition.

1) Ice your heel and arch at least 4 times a day - easiest method is to sit down and roll a frozen bottle with your foot, do this 20 minutes for each foot.
2) Stretch! - stretch your legs and feet, especially before getting out of bed in the morning or after sitting for more that 15 minutes
3) Massage your heel and arch, it may be painful in the beginning but it will help with circulation and allow the body to heal itself
4) Avoid walking whenever possible, this is a "biggie" try to rest your feet by sitting down a lot,
5) Be patient and consistent - It is important to be persistent with these activities and it takes time to recover.

Now to answer your question directly:

1) I recommend that you have custom made orthotics - that are "tailored" to your specific foot type, these are the best option really, I wouldn't buy "off the shelf" products in your case.
2) Your shoes should be wide and comfortable, and believe it or not, having a 1 or 2 inch heels can also relieve some of the pain because it stretches the Plantar Fascia.
The brand is not really important as long as it's well made (New balance or other known brands are excellent).

I really hope this helps, don't hesitate to contact me if you need further advise - My email is in my profile.

Take care and good luck!




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Plantar Fasciitis?
Rating: 100% based on 99998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment