Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Running a trail race in racing flats vs running it in trail shoes?

best running shoes trail
 on Kalenji Kapteren 200 W Trail Running Shoes Women (purple) 8181222 Best ...
best running shoes trail image



Vince


I've got a race tomorrow afternoon, would there really be too much of a difference if i wore racing flats instead of trail running shoes? the trails where i run aren't too crazy, if anything a bit muddy when it's wet but the weather doesnt seem to be looking bad for tomorrow, however I know cross country runners wear flats during their races because they're lighter so would it really be such a bad idea if i ditched the trail shoes this one time?


Answer
The least painful choice would probably be what you are used to trail running in.

Can i wear regular running shoes for a trail marathon?




Sharon


I entered into a trail marathon, and I have to cross a stream and my feet will definetley be getting wet. I hear trail running shoes are heavier, I dont know if its worth buying trail shoes just for this. Any info will be helpful. Thanks


Answer
As already mentioned, it depends on the trail. Also, it depends on you.

Personally, I rarely use trail shoes in a trail race because they are generally heavier, bulkier, and stiffer than road shoes. I often race with a lightweight road shoes. Another advantage of those is that your foot is lower to the ground, lower center of gravity, which gives you more lateral stability and a better feel for the trail. Other people I know, however, will use trail shoes even when racing on a smooth dirt path. On the roads, I run in the least supportive shoe possible - I have good feet and a good stride. If you need supportive road shoes, you could benefit from a more supportive trail shoes.

Someone mentioned New Balance trail shoes. I have a pair of the NB790s that I just love. They fit like a slipper, are very light, low to the ground, and have pretty good traction.

On many hard packed trails, traction isn't an issue. However, the added traction from a trail shoe can be helpful if there's a lot of sand/loose soil or mud. Another advantage is protection from hard rocks. My feet are used to running on rocks, so that's not something I worry about, though most others do.

I wouldn't worry too much about water protection, like from a Gore-Tex lined shoe. If you're running through streams, the water is going to come in over the top of the ankle. So, lining the shoe with Gore-Tex won't help. In fact, it might even make it harder to dry out. Wear a synthetic or wool sock, and you should be fine.

I do often wear trail shoes when training. There, I don't worry about the added weight.

You can also think about using them more than just for this one race. You may fall in love with running trails and want to do a lot more.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Running a trail race in racing flats vs running it in trail shoes?
Rating: 100% based on 99998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment